Please explain to me

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How the critter can ask $69 for a 2" sickly looking blue hippo tang but will only give me $25 credit for a 6-7" fat healthy one???

Defective_Weeble

Salty
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short answer is that they're in business to make money.

But that being said, as much as I like Chris, Critter's pricing is so far out of line most of the time that I can't bring myself to shop there. I love going to the store and looking around, but I have rarely if ever actually left with anything. I don't expect brick and mortar retailers to match online pricing, but at least be competitive enough that I don't feel like I'm being punished for shopping local. I genuinely want to give you my money.

Interestingly, when I was doing freshwater, I was far more impressed by their selection than I am when I'm looking at salt stuff. Maybe we're lucky in that we have hobbyists in this area who have great corals, but the stuff in the frag tanks there usually doesn't impress me, and especially not for the prices.

I want Critter, and all LFS for that matter, to succeed. I'm a huge fan of shopping local and keeping my money in TN. But I refuse to be raked over the coals because of it.

OP
OP
roadrashpaul

roadrashpaul

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand they have to make money but that was border line insulting. They are asking almost three times as much for something 1/3rd the size and mine is in MUCH better health.

I was in Atlanta last week and was blown away at the LFS they have there. Ours don't even come close to comparing.

NeveSSL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three times markup actually IS the standard markup on fish. Believe it or not, they're offering you more than what they pay wholesale for one.

Brandon

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the same boat as you roadrashpaul. I paid $90+ tax for a fish that was only $47 at LA, but then add LA shipping and I figured give the LFS my $$$.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three times markup actually IS the standard markup on fish. Believe it or not, they're offering you more than what they pay wholesale for one.

Brandon

Agreed. That's way higher than that would cost wholesale. 300% is indeed the industry going rate.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 160 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 126 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 54 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 18 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.4%
Back