OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been monitoring nitrate during this increasing alk episode?
Just some deductive reasoning, but I know you mentioned you dosed the calcium to raise it, how soon after this calcium dose did you notice the ALK spike? Was it same week? Or was this calcium dose several months back so we can assume it isn’t related? Cal/alk and mag are all components of each other so dosing one can spike another. Sorry you’re going through this
I use ESV 2-part. Is it possible that you hand-dosed some Alk instead of Calcium? The bottles and labels are nearly identical except for the wording. I use a doser, but I make myself check the bottles twice before refilling.

How about this. Did you dose Calcium (because it was low) a day or two before this Alk-event started? I'm just trying to present a possible avenue for this to have reasonably occurred.
Let's see what happens going forward.

Be sure the RO/DI is 0 ppm TDS as tap water can add a lot of alk.

@Cell , I have not been monitoring, I had it tested from the store last night and it showed no sign. Water sample was taken before feeding of the tank.

@dmy535 , that's a good question. It honestly was noticed after me dosing the CAL.

@schuby , used this salt mix for years, I once did dose alk, never had that problem. Including this ALK is legit non stop rising for some reason and it's been a week now it won't stop, even with this water change.

The answer to your question though, no I couldn't have, I always ALWAYS make sure I read the bottle before I put anything into the cup and I make sure I use my digital scale when I'm pouring to make sure it is the correct MLs to the grams from the chart.

@Randy Holmes-Farley , with the TDS meter I have i tested the RO water coming out the main line is testing at 0.

Even if it were to test a bit off would that explain this ALK non stop raising? I'm so confused. About this, it has raised 1.5ppm since doing my waterchange in the early hours this morning about 16 hours ago. I also understand that certain hours of the day the alk will be at its peek and then drop down at night or vice versa droning on the testing of the day ect.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using to test salt? Could the salt possibly be high?
I am using a Milwaukee MA887 digital saltwater refractometer. A bit expensive but well worth the investment. I also have 2 hanna salinity testers.

The store used a hanna tester to test my water as well and same number.

The reason it's at 1.026 atm is cause I haven't topped off my tank today with R.O water cause I wanted to see if the R.O was causing the spike, it's clearly not since the ALK is still going up after this water change and the pre-made saltwater mix I used was at 8.5DKH and my water was at 20DKH , After the water change it dropped to 14.1DKH and then now current after about 16hours it's now at 15.6-15.7 tested 2 times with the hanna Alkalinity tester.

So I am a bit confused on what the heck is going on.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While people are trying to figure this out, I would make some fresh saltwater and take the livestock out of the tank. All corals need is a pump and a heater. Try to save the livestock if possible.

reefluvrr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is to double check your pH. Maybe it is lower than 7.8. If your tank is too acidic, would that break down the carbonate in rocks, skeletons, etc. Into your water column?

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While people are trying to figure this out, I would make some fresh saltwater and take the livestock out of the tank. All corals need is a pump and a heater. Try to save the livestock if possible.
I was thinking that, you think they will be okay in just fresh saltwater? No cycle will happen? Also, i was thinking about giving majority of corals to my friend for now.

Um, as for the original question I have. I never done that before, How often will I need to take the water out for now. I never made a frag tank Rubbermaid before. I do have a HOB skimmer I can use if I need to use one. Only thing I really don't have is a light. Its mainly LPS I can just use a Reefbright strip. I need to aquire one of these ASAP.

I will have to get a Rubbermaid BIN from target tomorrow. Since I can't make it out there tonight =/ any recommendations you can give me on which type to avoid and ones to get for the time being, to use or not to use the skimmer? I don't wanna harm anything in the making of this Bin holder I'll be making for the coral.

maksim serebro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking that, you think they will be okay in just fresh saltwater? No cycle will happen? Also, i was thinking about giving majority of corals to my friend for now.

Um, as for the original question I have. I never done that before, How often will I need to take the water out for now. I never made a frag tank Rubbermaid before. I do have a HOB skimmer I can use if I need to use one. Only thing I really don't have is a light. Its mainly LPS I can just use a Reefbright strip. I need to aquire one of these ASAP.

I will have to get a Rubbermaid BIN from target tomorrow. Since I can't make it out there tonight =/ any recommendations you can give me on which type to avoid and ones to get for the time being, to use or not to use the skimmer? I don't wanna harm anything in the making of this Bin holder I'll be making for the coral.
If the alkalinity in the fresh batch is within normal then def take the corals out. Any bucket or bin will do. Plastic storage containers from Home Depot or something. No skimmer as you are not feeding. Any pump will do. Take one from the tank if needed. And a heater. You can add top off water manually. I’ve done this when moving with my sps. No problems. Save the animals. They will be ok without light for a few days. Just heat and flow.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is to double check your pH. Maybe it is lower than 7.8. If your tank is too acidic, would that break down the carbonate in rocks, skeletons, etc. Into your water column?
I just re calibrated my hanna ph tester, it's testing 7.7 with my tank water. I don't wanna add reef buffer cause it will raise my ALK and I'm trying to figure out the problem for the ALK.

I mean should I raise my PH ? I just wanna get this done with but not shock the tank anymore then it already is.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the alkalinity in the fresh batch is within normal then def take the corals out. Any bucket or bin will do. Plastic storage containers from Home Depot or something. No skimmer as you are not feeding. Any pump will do. Take one from the tank if needed. And a heater. You can add top off water manually. I’ve done this when moving with my sps. No problems. Save the animals. They will be ok without light for a few days. Just heat and flow.
Okay. I will swing over there tomorrow to homedepot or target to get a clear shallow bin. I will start on making water to mix salt and make sure to test all my levels before adding anything to the fresh batch of salt. And push comes to shove I have a 4ft LED box light I can just rig up and out on only blues if need be. Should I make sure there are no crabs and snails upon transferring over the corals to the new mix? Also, the fish will be fine in the tank? Should I try to catch those as well?

I know this question might sound dumb, I should rinse the corall off as much as I could with new saltwater before adding to the new salt mix?

I have a redsea purple bucket which mixes to 12DKH which I don't use I bought it for back up incase I run out of salt, I was wondering this since it's the closest to the DKH it's at now but at least at normal DKH levels.

RVA REEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think youre having problems mixing the esv salt, stick to something easy like adding instant ocean to your rodi water. If your calcium was that low something must have been off and raising it that much in 1 day is a lot. I would recommend doing a 100 percent change with a new easier salt and you might be able to save whats left of your corals. Most of your bacteria is already established in the tank rocks sand surfaces etc so shouldnt get a big cycle.

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay. I will swing over there tomorrow to homedepot or target to get a clear shallow bin. I will start on making water to mix salt and make sure to test all my levels before adding anything to the fresh batch of salt. And push comes to shove I have a 4ft LED box light I can just rig up and out on only blues if need be. Should I make sure there are no crabs and snails upon transferring over the corals to the new mix? Also, the fish will be fine in the tank? Should I try to catch those as well?

I know this question might sound dumb, I should rinse the corall off as much as I could with new saltwater before adding to the new salt mix?

I have a redsea purple bucket which mixes to 12DKH which I don't use I bought it for back up incase I run out of salt, I was wondering this since it's the closest to the DKH it's at now but at least at normal DKH levels.
Get yourself Mg test as well if you have low Mg the KH will be steady also calcium will not be steady stick to water change then check both Ca and Mg and post the reading here together with Kh the alkalinity is sure related to ca and mg stability

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think youre having problems mixing the esv salt, stick to something easy like adding instant ocean to your rodi water. If your calcium was that low something must have been off and raising it that much in 1 day is a lot. I would recommend doing a 100 percent change with a new easier salt and you might be able to save whats left of your corals. Most of your bacteria is already established in the tank rocks sand surfaces etc so shouldnt get a big cycle.
It wasn't low in the mix. My tank wasn't low either, when I was testing the water the night or the night before it started my DKH was at 9.1 and my CAL was at 390 and that's after foing a watercjange 3 or 4 days prior, I don't dose due to the fact my water changes was keeping up with my consumption in the tank. The night after I noticed the cal dropped to 20-204 and the alk was still 9.1DKH so I brought it up back to around 400-420 over a day. Then about 2 days or so later I noticed things starting to look weird, also prior to that my star fish was doing this weird thing I never seen.. so that also made me test the water. Anyways back on to the subject after the 2 days I noticed things looking funny so I tested again. The alk was raised, no I did not add ALK by mistake it surly was CAL.

Katepete722

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super wild shot here, but how did you glue your rocks together? I used a combo of baking soda and cyanoacrylate and it caused a similar alkalinity spike as the baking soda was pulled into solution. I’m guessing this is probably not your problem, but since I had a similar issue once, I thought I’d mention it.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get yourself Mg test as well if you have low Mg the KH will be steady also calcium will not be steady stick to water change then check both Ca and Mg and post the reading here together with Kh the alkalinity is sure related to ca and mg stability
It raising up and up and up day after day?

I will actually test the ALK again its been about 2 hours. I will see if it has raised any again. I did a 25-30g waterchange at 2am

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super wild shot here, but how did you glue your rocks together? I used a combo of baking soda and cyanoacrylate and it caused a similar alkalinity spike as the baking soda was pulled into solution. I’m guessing this is probably not your problem, but since I had a similar issue once, I thought I’d mention it.
I actually didn't do that for that exact reason, I used aquamaxx reef welder. I Will post a photo, actually the best invention they have came up with to date, built a few structures in 2 other people's tanks as well. So definitely not the product I used to date, instant cure no wait time well maybe like 10 minutes depending how thick you apply after melting the beads.

Gogo007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It raising up and up and up day after day?

I will actually test the ALK again its been about 2 hours. I will see if it has raised any again. I did a 25-30g waterchange at 2am
This looks like chain reaction look for both ca and mg reading will not lose anything to check them and get them in the right value as well

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Omg what a lifesaver. I just called a bunch of reef stores near me and in New jersey, a place called NOT JUST FISH in New jersey Bayonne to be exact had picked up as they were closing and I told them what was going on. She was sweet enough to tell me to calm down and take a deep breath , she will stay open for me to get there. So my girlfriend is driving over there since she is closer to there then I am at the moment. Gonna pick up some nutri sea water 4.4g buckets from them so I can have premixed water and get a salifert Magnesium test kit if they have one. Such an amazing spirit she is, I am legit the definition of a damsel in distress... I haven't been sleeping well for the past week or thinking right.

I know my posts are a bit all over the place as I'm answering people as well my OP post is a bit jumbled, please forgive me. My mind is racing a mile a minute thinking and searching and checking other people's posts with similar problems but nothing like mine. =/ thank you all for bearing with me

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared your hanna alk checkers reading to a titration test like Salifert or ReaSea?

Seems like you made a few knee jerk reactions like big water changes, etc etc based soley on your checkers results ? that could explain visual indicators of stress from your corals.
Id confirm your Dkh with a titration kit before taking further action. Could be a faulty checker, comprised reagent etc.

OP
OP
A$AP-Reefer

A$AP-Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared your hanna alk checkers reading to a titration test like Salifert or ReaSea?

Seems like you made a few knee jerk reactions like big water changes, etc etc based soley on your checkers results ? that could explain visual indicators of stress from your corals.
Id confirm your Dkh with a titration kit before taking further action. Could be a faulty checker, comprised reagent etc.
It's confirmed with the local reputable fish store as well, it's not only my checkers. I only have done this 30g water change. Not (waterchanges) as for a titration test kit I will do the salifert ALK one if I have all the components still I have to check. I will upload photos momentarily of that test.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back