Please help me identify this white thing

dsea863

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify what this white thing is that plastered itself onto my GSP?
Thanks

20230901_194359.jpg 20230901_194355.jpg

OP
OP
dsea863

dsea863

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It growing and I don't know how to get rid of it help !

Attachments

• 20231007_075107.jpg
    20231007_075107.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 27

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the pineapple sponges there are harmless, but if the other sponge there is bothering your coral, then you'll want to get rid of it. Fragging off an uncontaminated part of the coral isn't a bad idea, but if you don't want to do that, the below suggestions may help (as a note here, since it's still contained on the frag, you may want to pull the frag out of the tank and clean it in a bowl of tank water rather than in the tank itself - this is just an extra precaution to try and prevent the sponge from spreading):
The best way I've heard to control sponge growth at this point is to use a steel straw to scrape and siphon out the sponge you want to remove. Sometimes you can create bad conditions for them and kill them off that way, but that's typically much harder and not always effective.

Some other sponge removal methods:
Generally speaking, the easiest way to remove sponges is to scrape them off (the best recommendation I've seen for this is to scrape it off and suction it out).

Other suggestions include exposing the sponge to air (obviously not a guaranteed solution, and definitely not viable for this situation); hydrogen peroxide dipping the sponge (again, not viable here); injecting the sponge with hydrogen peroxide, vinegar, boiling water, or air; microbubbles in the display; and a few more. Predation is not usually a good solution for this issue, and I explain why below:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 82 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back