Please help.... Water stains on used 150g

Jaengle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning a 150g and trying to get off what are essentially hard water stains. I have tried a few cleaners including bar keepers friend. Taking it slow. It's on a low iron glass tank.

My question is can I use the non scratch side of a blue sponge with bar keepers friend? Orbital buffer?

Any other solutions??

OP
OP
J

Jaengle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures would help. Vinegar and also plain rodi water is great for removing mineral deposits
Have tried vinegar...

1st pic is before... And then how far I have gotten.

OP
OP
J

Jaengle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have tried vinegar...

1st pic is before... And then how far I have gotten.
Pictures attached this time...
1553993992534.jpeg
1553994083022.jpeg

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may not even see the staining once it's filled with water...otherwise you could soak paper towels in vinegar, put them on the glass, and cover them with plastic wrap overnight to get it off

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would clean with vinegar only. There are other things,but not those harsh chemicals. Make sure you rinse that tank throughly. Any of that cleaning residue left behind could be. A problem.

Also most of those stains will go away nice filled, put water on a spot and see if it diasspears

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried citric acid? It is the acid in stuff like clr that dissolves the mineral build up, citric acid mix would give you that without all the extra chemicals.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If adamant on the stains, no scent easy off oven cleaner . Use sparingly just like cleaning oven, but with rags or towels. Use long gloves. Ingredient is sodium hydroxide. Natural product but strong. Outside area, I use turtle wax, chrome wax. Works wonders. Just me

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wear rubber gloves, respirator advisable, very ventalated space, dampen paper towel with muriatic acid.
Let it lay on stains for just about 15- 20 seconds. Any longer, it could etch the glass. If that doesn't work, I don't think anything will. Do not breath fumes at all. Don't delute in water. Muriatic acid is very potiant, nothing to play with.

Last edited:

Iona Skye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am cleaning a 150g and trying to get off what are essentially hard water stains. I have tried a few cleaners including bar keepers friend. Taking it slow. It's on a low iron glass tank.

My question is can I use the non scratch side of a blue sponge with bar keepers friend? Orbital buffer?

Any other solutions??

I didn't read the responses but here's my advice for glass (I have done a LOT of this). I don't use anything abrasive. No blue sponges, razors, or Bar Keeps Friend for me personally. But this works really well:

- soak paper towels in distilled vinegar and drape them over the water stains (covering all the glass with a single wet paper towel layer)
- cover with plastic wrap or something to keep the vinegar "fumes" in
- let it sit 30-60 min, rewetting paper towels if needed
- wipe it away, beware of any accidental sand
- rinse with water (no soap)

Citric acid does the same job as vinegar.

Good luck!

robert

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you end up doing...if it works post up a pic and tell us how you did it. I've tried variations on many of the ideas shared but I must have done them wrong. I usually clean as best I can and fill with water - you won't see those water marks when full.

George Lopez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question... have you seen this tank filled yet? If not you should do a leak test to make sure it holds and to check all of the seams before worrying about water stains. Plus it might just show you that they disappear when filled

Back