please help with me with my elegance coral!!

Alex Youn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need help please!

C08DC2C3-6902-47F4-B05E-045D2112E369.jpeg

69118D5D-3B58-4EFE-8F81-581507FAC33E.jpeg

1B705AE9-F9A2-48BF-A768-23DFBB982AE9.jpeg

55F82C03-37C1-4F9E-86DA-0EE38E030549.jpeg

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need info.
How long have you had
How old is ur tank
What lighting
Parameters
What flow do you have it in

OP
OP
A

Alex Youn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We need info.
How long have you had
How old is ur tank
What lighting
Parameters
What flow do you have it in
i have had it for a around a week or two

i had the tank for a month

i have a AI prime

i have to raise the salinity a bit but the others are doing amazing. 1.024 and it should be 1.026

i have a medium flow

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need all parameters not just salinity. It’s recommend to wait till after the ugly stage to get coral. Parameters are constantly fluctuating at 1 month old
They tend to like lower flow

OP
OP
A

Alex Youn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need all parameters not just salinity. It’s recommend to wait till after the ugly stage to get coral. Parameters are constantly fluctuating at 1 month old
They tend to like lower flow
do you think it’s dead?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had it for a around a week or two

i had the tank for a month

i have a AI prime

i have to raise the salinity a bit but the others are doing amazing. 1.024 and it should be 1.026

i have a medium flow
The flow may be too strong for it but it could be upset over something else too. As @James M said we need to know all of your water parameters, if we have that info we can probably help you

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although not dead, it is a frag of a whole colony. Elegance corals (when intact) have a cone shaped skeleton the should be mostly buried in the sand so that the soft fleshy part is given support by the sandbed. In the wild they are found in relatively turbid lagoons. Personally, I've never seen a fragged elegance before in my 30+ years of reefing, including 10+ working p/t at and dating the owner of a LFS

In your very new tank, it is almost certainly doomed. They can be very difficult in even established tanks, and having been fragged, the outcome even for an experienced reefer would be in doubt.

As stated above - a complete listing of parameters - Ammonia, Nitrate, Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium, and phosphate would be helpful. Also - what size tank, sump?, amount of rock (live v dry), total circulation (number/size/placement of power heads) and other inhabitants will help us get you going in the right direction.

Where did you get it? Where the sellers aware of your tanks status (new, barely cycled).

More info is good info.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Elegance is for the well seeded tank and needs good water flow, moderate lighting as the blues in pics are good and optimum parameters which are hard to maintain in a tank this new.
Calcium and magnesium levels are vital as is low nitrates and phosphate levels.

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with others.. your tank is not ready for elegance and even if it was good luck with a little sliver of a wall elegance like that piece you have, for a small colony a cone bottom would be a better choice.

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are very hard to keep, especially fragged like that, sometimes young 'new' elegance corals grow out of the skeleton of a mature specimen.
Fragging these young new ones is okay.

Unfortunately yours seems to be cut up, from an existing animal, hence the less appealing 'V' shape in the skeleton, usually that's rounded off.

What to do now?
I'd put it in a moderate flow area, and put more of the body under the sand, so that only the tip of the 'V' in the skeleton is sticking out, that way the base of the coral is stuck in the sand, when Elegance coral's fall over, they usually don't do very well, and enjoy having the fleshy-part, rest slightly on the sand.

As for:

Elegance is for the well seeded tank and needs good water flow, moderate lighting as the blues in pics are good and optimum parameters which are hard to maintain in a tank this new.
Calcium and magnesium levels are vital as is low nitrates and phosphate levels.

I agree with calc & magnesium, allthough nitrates & phosphate levels are less relevant, in my personal experience. A stable enviroment is most important.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 30.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%

Back