Please ID

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this crawling through my tank today. I saw one before but was tiny and in went between my rocks before I could get it. Today I got one but it was much bigger. What is it? The picture inside of tank and outside on tank.

IMG_2093.jpeg IMG_2094.jpeg

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd one it looks like the things i found at my job in the overflow area, its like some kind of slug thing, like nudibranch sea hare, my only idea of what they are is a "Barnacle Nudibranch" but im not even 100% sure its the perfect match.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a difficult time with the one on the right due to the angle but I’m assuming when you are looking at them they are the same. I guessing a type of limpet, good algae grazers.
He needs to poke it and see if it has a hard shell or not

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also from the pic itself, there isnt any visible shell like atlesst no edges of the shell if it were a limpet, but wait maybe its a slipper limpet or hoof limpet those that sit on other snails, but i assume they have a hard shell though.
Did I miss that a hard shell has been ruled out?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just notified Mermaid Man to let Barnacle Boy to keep a lookout for that! If you don’t get the cartoon Sponge Bob Square Pants in Sweden I just wasted a joke (I may have anyway if you do have it). My mother is all Swedish, maiden name Anderson.
My last name is Gordon, not related to any british person just have an unusual last name in Sweden

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a hard shell. It is a very flat shell too. Unlike a normal snail shell it doesn’t allow for the creature to curl up into the shell.

OP
OP
B

boyer.michael.s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the picture of it on the paper towel is all 1 thing. The shell is on the left and part of the soft body is on right. When I pulled it off the rock it tore it in half.

I did just lol up limpets and it actually does look like that’s what it would be. The shell on them looks like it just sits on them like a hat which is how this thing is.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the picture of it on the paper towel is all 1 thing. The shell is on the left and part of the soft body is on right. When I pulled it off the rock it tore it in half.

I did just lol up limpets and it actually does look like that’s what it would be. The shell on them looks like it just sits on them like a hat which is how this thing is.
Ya, you just perfectly described a limpet, great part of your cuc and hopefully continue breeding in your tank. I purchased some about a year ago. It has been a long time since I saw one, very disappointing.

kjkszpj9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh, well then its just a nerite snail then, a dead one now lol.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 86 76.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 13 11.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back