Plumbing new Tank into existing set up.

Reeferz123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some guidance:

I currently have a 50 gallon low boy system that is has been running for a little over a year. I recently got a RedSea 250 which i am thinking to plumb into my frag system (sump).

Is there anything i should watch out for when merging the two system together.

I was planning on filling the RS250 with RODI right below the overflow line, get the salinity to match my frag system then open valves to let overflow into sump.

Thanks!

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real potential issue is if you sump has enough capacity to hold the extra volume of water in a power outage.

OP
OP
Reeferz123

Reeferz123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a good point i will have to test that out.

Also i have some dry rock in the RS250 can that cause any issues or should introduce it slowly. My sump and frag system has a decent amount of live rock already.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would make sure salinity and temp are very close and only add water from the new tank into the new system slowly so you do not shock the new system..

When I add new tanks or clean a tank in my systems. I fill the new tank with water and then I open the valve feeding it so existing water runs in real slow to the new system.

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently merged two tanks into one sump, I cycled the new tank independent of the cycled tank before I actually opened any valves. The first thing I did after merging them was to shut off the pumps to stimulate a power outage and make sure nothing overflowed. Sounds like you're getting good advice here

OP
OP
Reeferz123

Reeferz123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently merged two tanks into one sump, I cycled the new tank independent of the cycled tank before I actually opened any valves. The first thing I did after merging them was to shut off the pumps to stimulate a power outage and make sure nothing overflowed. Sounds like you're getting good advice here

Is there any benefits in cycling new tank separate?

Mjrenz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My opinion is that by cycling I felt like I was helping to avoid an ammonia spike and maintain stability with my existing tank. I had no issues when I finally merged them together

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back