Plumbing questions...

FishGuyBri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been browsing the forum and youtube to get some ideas on plumbing. I've noticed that so many people are plumbing with hard PVC, is there a benefit to this over the flex tubing included with my drilled, reef ready Aqueon 90? I have a Eshopps R-200 3rd gen sump I'll be setting up (delayed a week due to stand not finished w/ staining) and I want to make sure I don't run into any issues. Also, is there any recommendation for using a thread sealant with the tubing or PVC for the overflow plumbing? I'm assuming not, but figured it'd be good to know before i dump water all over my floor. Thanks!

Smo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A matter of personal preference between rigid and soft tubing. To me, rigid tubing provides a cleaner more professional looking installation. It is a lot more work to install properly. It does support the gate valve for my BeanAnimal drain system and a manifold with multiple valves on the return side.
Use Plasto-Joint Stik for all PVC and plastic thread joints. It is non-hardening and non-toxic. I have had zero leakage with it. Do no use Teflon tape! It is not designed as a seal for plastic threads. It is designed as a lubricant for metal threads.

Playa-1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a matter of preferences. Many people will use PVC because it can have a really clean look to it. Other's like to build in manifolds and not have the hoses moving around. Hoses can be quick and easy to set up but then again you gotta also realize that some fittings for the hoses also restrict flow. I'm currently set up with a drain hose but it's more of a rigid hose that doesn't move too much. Those flex hoses can jump around during start up so you need to make sure it's well secured. Also if the flex drain sags during start up then it can cause a bit of a restriction in the water flow until things start moving. Not a big deal if it's a straight shot but it can be an issue if it's not a straight shot down. My return line is a combination of a pvc manifold off the pump and then connects to a double braided hose for the rest of the run. I'm not a fan of gooey/putty type sealants myself. I always use teflon tape. The trick is not to over tighten the plastic fittings or they will break at the seem. They will do that with or without a any type of thread sealant. I have a background in industrial pumping equipment and I've never had an issue with teflon tape and plastic fittings. I've had some issues with over tightening plastic fittings. In fact many plastic fitting are in theory not supposed to need sealant. Not all will leak without sealant, but some will ,and it's a pain to redo the plumbing. So do yourself a favor and use a thread sealant of some type. Especially on the pressurized fittings. On PVC fitting you can use the regular old water pipe grade PVC cement. I always a good idea to use the primer too.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back