Plumbing UV Sterilizer Pentair 40w

bonnie.klassen1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Reefers
Just purchased a pentair 40w uv sterilizer - which will be used for Protozoa Bacteria Water Flow Rate:157GPH/262GPH (Suggested*/Maximum)>
I was planning to use a sicce 2.0 pump <Output: 568 GPH>
can I get some suggestions of plumbing ?

I would like something that’s easy to remove - so I can change out the uv bulb when needed. It will be mounted horizontally across the back of my stand.

Thanks !

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1/2" vinyl tubing with a barbed fitting on UV would be adequate for those flows. I would insert Eheim double tap valves on the inlet and outlet tubing to facilitate bulb replacement. You could also use 1/2" PVC pipe (rigid or spa flex) with unions and valves as well if you want something a little stronger, but it will be a little more difficult to break apart

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you end up plumbing? Am planning on same thing for my rsr350, but may end up going with the 57watt.

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May end up running mine directly from display, to UV then directly back to display. Just do not like the idea of pump/plumbing being visable

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 40w and am running it closed loop mounted on side of stand. Running for an extra safegaurd against ich/velvet. From research I do not think its as important but more bacteria and free swimmers will circulate thru the uv when plumbed in a closed loop system.

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would have mounted behind stand but am not able to move tank lol

20220202_183029.jpg 20220202_183046.jpg 20220202_183054.jpg

Last edited:

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great idea any worry about the fish getting sucked into the pump?

How is this working for you in that position? Any microbubble issues?

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a great idea any worry about the fish getting sucked into the pump?

How is this working for you in that position? Any microbubble issues?
Its working great so far. No bubbles at all only for the first few minutes after turning on. I was a little worried about fish/inverts around the pump, but I am running it pretty low at around 200gph. I seen my cleaner shrimps investigating it and they did not seem bothered by it. I was thinking about putting an 90 degree elbow facing up on the inlet and putting a finer strainer on it (picture below). Also this would keep it away from the sand.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220130-114128_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220130-114128_Chrome.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its working great so far. No bubbles at all only for the first few minutes after turning on. I was a little worried about fish/inverts around the pump, but I am running it pretty low at around 200gph. I seen my cleaner shrimps investigating it and they did not seem bothered by it. I was thinking about putting an 90 degree elbow facing up on the inlet and putting a finer strainer on it (picture below). Also this would keep it away from the sand.
I did a temporary vertical install but I was having microbubble issues, maybe I'll switch gears and try something like this, unfortunately I have a eurobrace 120g but maybe from sump to tank it could be similar. What size pump and how are you figuring the flow?
Edit: any issues with down sizing from 1" i used 1" because that's what it came with.

Thank you!

I know the picture is crazy...

Screenshot_20220206-100425_Gallery.jpg

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dialed in flow yet, but planning to tomorrow when i do a water change. I will just use a gallon jug on the inlet side and see how long it takes to fill it and adjust accordingly. I bought a Eflux current 6009 return pump, rated for 200gph-1050gph so I am hoping it will be plenty after factoring in headloss. Cant tell from your pic but are you running an external pump to feed UV?

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a temporary vertical install but I was having microbubble issues, maybe I'll switch gears and try something like this, unfortunately I have a eurobrace 120g but maybe from sump to tank it could be similar. What size pump and how are you figuring the flow?
Edit: any issues with down sizing from 1" i used 1" because that's what it came with.

Thank you!

None so far downsizing. I actually bought all 1" plumbing and then figured it was kind of overkill for the flow I was after so went with all 3/4. I think if your going for high flow 1" seems to be what people recommend to use.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not dialed in flow yet, but planning to tomorrow when i do a water change. I will just use a gallon jug on the inlet side and see how long it takes to fill it and adjust accordingly. I bought a Eflux current 6009 return pump, rated for 200gph-1050gph so I am hoping it will be plenty after factoring in headloss. Cant tell from your pic but are you running an external pump to feed UV?
Yeah its a sdc7 but I plan to put it internally thats just very temporary

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah its a sdc7 but I plan to put it internally thats just very temporary
How do you like the pump? I was originally going to get the sdc 3.0 when it was on sale but got a deal on the elfux. Seems ok tho and is doing the job. Probably get an sdc for a return back up probably

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the pump? I was originally going to get the sdc 3.0 when it was on sale but got a deal on the elfux. Seems ok tho and is doing the job. Probably get an sdc for a return back up probably
I have 2 sdc 9's 1 sdc7 and 1 sdc 6 ....I like them, but really I got them on blk Friday for a deal. But the pump is good I would say as loud as their ac pumps tho, but the control is good and so is the app plus the 5 yr warranty.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you!

I can't make out the plumbing clearly but are you feeding water into your UV at the top? Water should enter the bottom if you have it in the vertical orientation so air exits out the top.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't make out the plumbing clearly but are you feeding water into your UV at the top? Water should enter the bottom if you have it in the vertical orientation so air exits out the top.
Hahah i know im sorry,, It is coming from the small pump sitting on the sump feeding in the bottom of the sterilizer then exiting from the top over the edge of the tank.

AMG63Addison

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the pump I got is rated for 210gph-1050gph. Just did the gallon jug test to see what kind of flow i was getting. At lowest setting on pump I am getting a gallon in 11.5 seconds, so if my math is correction thats 312 gph and my target is 250gph. How is this possible? especially after head loss, about 6 elbows and maybe 5ft of pipe. I do have valve to lower flow but was not expecting to have to use them. Is it normal for a new pump to put out that much more gph. pump is a eflux 6009 and verified that i recieved this model as well.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pump vendor cannot really provide a minimum flow since it depends on an assumption of the backpressure on the pump. Just throttle it back somewhat to get the flow you want.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back