PO4

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have very low and continued low PO4. See a couple of my sps starting to fade in color. Feeding regimen is heavy and same as always. Not running any media. Thoughts!?

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are your nitrates? Are you incorporating coral foods into your daily feedings? I know Reef Roids will bring PO4 up quickly. The other option is NeoPhos. I’ve used it and it worked well in the beginning.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have very low and continued low PO4. See a couple of my sps starting to fade in color. Feeding regimen is heavy and same as always. Not running any media. Thoughts!?

What's your N03 at?

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should add some phosphate. I use t.s.p from home depot. I cant say on the purity, but i havent had any problems. Thats tri sodium phosphate.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say stabilize? Wouldn’t they just come back down due to my setup and what my tank can handle..?

I assumed a relatively new tank, maybe that was a wrong assumption. My experience is that I had to dose for a few months and then my fish grew or detritus built up in the sand/rocks enough that I could stop dosing.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed a relatively new tank, maybe that was a wrong assumption. My experience is that I had to dose for a few months and then my fish grew or detritus built up in the sand/rocks enough that I could stop dosing.

Year and 2 months.

34C2244C-F4C0-49A0-9A39-EF9149233A2C.jpeg

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can go hand in hand. Feeding heavy won't always raise them equally.

So adding PO4 is only way to get them up at this point? I don’t usually feed coral food but have it and can start to see if that helps it go up.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I have to clean glass daily as the Glass gets dirty. I’ve always been told that should show to have enough nutrients in the tank.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So adding PO4 is only way to get them up at this point? I don’t usually feed coral food but have it and can start to see if that helps it go up.

You would need to raise N03 first, then P04. You could try a couple things first like no water changes for a couple weeks/month, taking skimmer off line for awhile....etc. or dose KN03 and P04.

Potassium nitrate and something like Seachem's flourish phosphorus.

Before doing so, verify your test kits.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will try to no water changes first as I have been doing these weekly. Will continue to test. Thanks for the feedback!
You would need to raise N03 first, then P04. You could try a couple things first like no water changes for a couple weeks/month, taking skimmer off line for awhile....etc. or dose KN03 and P04.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I will try to no water changes first as I have been doing these weekly. Will continue to test. Thanks for the feedback!

ReeferNtraining

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae on the glass daily could mean something else. Your algae may be uptaking the PO4 and nitrate too quickly. When I was having low nutrient problems I would test in the morning and be around .05 and by 3pm I’d be 0. Both on the Hamna. With you having a mature system, I’m sure your corals are uptaking a good part of PO4 as well. But, try testing in the morning before the lights come on and see if you’re getting a reading.
Also, I have to clean glass daily as the Glass gets dirty. I’ve always been told that should show to have enough nutrients in the tank.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Algae on the glass daily could mean something else. Your algae may be uptaking the PO4 and nitrate too quickly. When I was having low nutrient problems I would test in the morning and be around .05 and by 3pm I’d be 0. Both on the Hamna. With you having a mature system, I’m sure your corals are uptaking a good part of PO4 as well. But, try testing in the morning before the lights come on and see if you’re getting a reading.

Thanksgiving yes failed to mention that I use the Hanna ULR. The algae on glass is only sign of algae in tank.

OP
OP
Travis Stewart

Travis Stewart

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanksgiving yes failed to mention that I use the Hanna ULR. The algae on glass is only sign of algae in tank.

And when I say algae it’s just some brown on my glass

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back