Pods and “Homemade” algae scrubber

  • Thread starter Thread starter MSB123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Joined
Aug 11, 2017
Messages
3,487
Reaction score
3,321
Location
Santa Barbara, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. I have decided to post about my algae scrubber. It is not really a conventional scrubber, rather it’s an overlit overflow. The overflow itself is internal, and everything in internally plummed. I have also started that it is completely full of pods!! I mean, I tap on the glass, and about 300 of them just scatter all over! I have 0 phosphates, 0 nitrates, and 0.03 nitrites!!! I don’t even run a skimmer! Plus a sneak peak at chomper- 4.5” lion!
Who else is doing this? Problems?
MSB
BEE7FB1B-3B19-4605-8972-AA8194D3B641.jpeg 67D25E5D-6B65-44BB-861E-E49558FF1E18.jpeg B67776D7-5A5B-46C4-8770-DCFBB591B7A1.jpeg 8D801AB1-E596-41AF-9E93-C6726D624EE8.jpeg B39B066F-6E1F-4202-96DB-7C37FDBBC534.jpeg EA93413D-0F52-4CD6-B71C-CF33C7D465B9.jpeg 6D9D5516-8970-46B9-8278-C6C97AA4E216.jpeg
 
Out of curiosity; how do you remove the algae? Just scrape it out and shake out the pods?

Nice looking fish!
 
Out of curiosity; how do you remove the algae? Just scrape it out and shake out the pods?

Nice looking fish!
Thanks! I use a modified sand vac- I mounted a scrapped blade under the vacuum part and it scrapes it off and sucks it up!
 
the pods get stuck on some mesh that the algae goes through, and then get put back in the overflow
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 16.7%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 25.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 5 41.7%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new