Portland white cement the cause of silicates?

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recent icp shows heightened levels of silicates.
For about 2 months ago I switched the DI filter in my osmosis as well as added an extra DI filter in the end stage.
My silicates had gone down the following month.
Now its at an all time high and I've been struggling to find the cause of this.

I feed same as before, with addition of a small piece of clam (raw of course) once or twice a week.

But what also is new in the tank is around 15 new frags plugs, which I have made from aragonite sand and portland white cement. They are not big but also not completely cured.

I wonder now if anyone else have has experience with white portland cement and increased silicates in the water column?
Is this a valid theory as a cause??

20211208_135101.jpg Screenshot_20211207-203217_APEX Fusion.jpg

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, most likely. Also white cement is an calcium alumino silicate, it is just lower in iron and other transition metals than grey cement.
Thanks for input. How about the reef cement that is available from different brands? They can't be as silicate potent as the portland white cement?

Hans-Werner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate is the necessary material that hardens portland cement in the so called pozollanic reaction when calcium silicate crystals grow and form a dense structure that hardens to concrete.

OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicate is the necessary material that hardens portland cement in the so called pozollanic reaction when calcium silicate crystals grow and form a dense structure that hardens to concrete.
Yes thank you, but I wonder if this reaction is specific for portland white cement or if it's the same with normal reef cement/reef fix as well. If not I could just switch the bonding agent

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.2%
Back