Possible hitchhiker on mushroom?

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Purchased this mushroom last weekend and have noticed that sometimes its foot is positioned upwards. In the photo you can see two spiral like clusters. Any idea what these could be?

IMG_7568.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all,

Purchased this mushroom last weekend and have noticed that sometimes its foot is positioned upwards. In the photo you can see two spiral like clusters. Any idea what these could be?

IMG_7568.jpeg
Any snails in tank? Looks like egg mass of some sort

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
That’s why I was wondering too, just confused on how it got onto the foot! Lol
Gently . . . see if you can dislodge it with a turkey baster and see if it flies out. Other possibility is expulsion of waste

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eggs- no snails lay their eggs on the flesh of coral like that. Those are the shrooms' mesenterial filaments, essentially it's guts and immune system. They push them through wounds to keep them clean and use them to defend themselves from other corals. I would guess it got ripped partway off the plug and the filaments are there while the wound heals.

OP
OP
mr.lordacan

mr.lordacan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not eggs- no snails lay their eggs on the flesh of coral like that. Those are the shrooms' mesenterial filaments, essentially it's guts and immune system. They push them through wounds to keep them clean and use them to defend themselves from other corals. I would guess it got ripped partway off the plug and the filaments are there while the wound heals.
Well, that’s not good. Thanks for the heads up, I’ll leave it be. Luckily it’s opening up and seems happy apart from the foot not 100% attaching. I’m guessing it should pull through since it’s been doing this for a week (fingers crossed)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I thought also filaments why i suggested baster. Filaments wont dislodge
Sea hare and a couple of snails have similar egg mass.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 78 76.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back