Post your All For Reef dosing schedule!

Dr4gula.f32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how people dose there all for reef these days. I buy the powder and mix a gallon at a time. The jug sits on a mag stirrer and comes on twice a day for an hour. I do this because apparently, previously I was dosing all for reef slurry :)

So I dose 32ml a day

9a 8ml
12p 8ml
3p 8ml
6p 8ml

I'm curious how people divvy up their daily dosages, to see if there's something I can do better

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently I am only using 3mL a day and my dosing pump doses in 1mL increments. . . so I dose 1mL at 0800, 1600, and 0000. . .

I prescribe to the school of thought that dosing smaller amounts more often is better for stability. . . I have no proof haha but makes sense to me. . . that said, personally if I needed to dose 32mL a day I would dose 4mL every 3 hours (the most frequent dosing with nice whole numbers haha).

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my 30 gallon mixed reef. Alk 8.2- 8.6, but I also add Balling Part B. Calcium 430-450
Screenshot_2024-03-23-15-48-12-07_17c1e134bf8189d95a36293034ac1c52.jpg

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am dosing 15ml/day by hand. Keeps alk 8.4-8.6 I mixed it up according to directions 1l at a time. I dose it all at once. I mean its basically time released anyway right? I test calcium weekly and top off with calcium chloride if needed. I test mag every couple weeks never had to dose it, it's in the 1500s according to test anyway.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long are you all seeing AFR to register in tests? Im trying to time my dosing so that I can balance out the consumption during peak lighting hours so my testing at midnight doesn’t show much of a drop. I recently moved my dosing to 6am-12pm but still see a drop (although not as steep now). It seems Alk is quicker than advertised (thought it took 12hours+)?

I’m testing Alk 3x a day (8am, 4pm, midnight) and would like to move to once a day once I have it dialed in more.
IMG_0036.jpeg

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40b display with 20g sump

95% of my tank is SPS

12 mL ... 1:44 AM
10 mL ... 3:00 AM
10 mL ... 8:33 AM
10 mL ... 2:11 PM
10 mL ... 9:27 PM
10 mL ... 11:30 PM

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious how people dose there all for reef these days. I buy the powder and mix a gallon at a time. The jug sits on a mag stirrer and comes on twice a day for an hour. I do this because apparently, previously I was dosing all for reef slurry :)

So I dose 32ml a day

9a 8ml
12p 8ml
3p 8ml
6p 8ml

I'm curious how people divvy up their daily dosages, to see if there's something I can do better
2 ml per hour, 24/7.

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about alkalinity but I know that it takes a couple of days with regards to real time calcium levels showing up in your tests. This has to do with the fact that the formula uses calcium formate that is used has to be processed by bacteria first. Or something along those lines.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure about alkalinity but I know that it takes a couple of days with regards to real time calcium levels showing up in your tests. This has to do with the fact that the formula uses calcium formate that is used has to be processed by bacteria first. Or something along those lines.
Opposite. Calcium response is hours, alk response a couple of days.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to stir it but I understand that may be a personal preference. My batch consists of 2 1800 ml batches and then put into a larger container. I weigh out the product, get RODI water, let it get to room temp, poor product for first batch, throw in magnet pill, stir for 20 minutes give or take - basically clear. Pour out into larger container and repeat. Again I weigh the product instead of using the scoop.

80 ml/day lights on starting at 0900 ending at 2000. 210 gallon 7 year old mixed reef. My daily dose peaked at 110 ml/day but as since slowed down. I've been using it for about 3 years now give or take. I started when the DIY over the counter TM recipe was out. Once the powder became available I switched to that. Love the stuff and my display seems to be perfectly happy with it.

Honesty in reefing prior to All For Reef I was using ESV 2 part. Again my display was perfectly happy with that product too. There is no notable difference other than one being a single dose solution and some trace elements.

Not sure if you wanted pictures or not. Phosphates are 2.2 ppm btw.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Opposite. Calcium response is hours, alk response a couple of days.
Hmm, so there’s not really a way to avoid the consumption dip to have a more level dKh it seems if it takes that long? When I up or lower the dosage I usually feel like I see it next day. Maybe I’m just seeing fluctuations instead?

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, so there’s not really a way to avoid the consumption dip to have a more level dKh it seems if it takes that long? When I up or lower the dosage I usually feel like I see it next day. Maybe I’m just seeing fluctuations instead?
If my alk is trending low, i adjust the afr up slightly, and add a tablespoon of baking soda, which raises the alk by 0.3 dkh in my 125 g.

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To summarize all my posts thus far in here … I used to dose 24/7, but knowing the peak consumption happens during photoperiod, I’ve been trying to counter that by dosing a tighter window to add Alk (time released) to match depletion window. Right now I’m testing between 6am-noon dosing window, but maybe I’ll try 1pm-7pm as that’s my peak photoperiod if it’s typically about 24 hours?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't need to stir it but I understand that may be a personal preference. My batch consists of 2 1800 ml batches and then put into a larger container. I weigh out the product, get RODI water, let it get to room temp, poor product for first batch, throw in magnet pill, stir for 20 minutes give or take - basically clear. Pour out into larger container and repeat. Again I weigh the product instead of using the scoop.

80 ml/day lights on starting at 0900 ending at 2000. 210 gallon 7 year old mixed reef. My daily dose peaked at 110 ml/day but as since slowed down. I've been using it for about 3 years now give or take. I started when the DIY over the counter TM recipe was out. Once the powder became available I switched to that. Love the stuff and my display seems to be perfectly happy with it.

Honesty in reefing prior to All For Reef I was using ESV 2 part. Again my display was perfectly happy with that product too. There is no notable difference other than one being a single dose solution and some trace elements.

Not sure if you wanted pictures or not. Phosphates are 2.2 ppm btw.

Beautiful reef! See when I say my previous reef years ago had 2+ppm po4 everyone thinks it was a algae soup. It wasnt.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To summarize all my posts thus far in here … I used to dose 24/7, but knowing the peak consumption happens during photoperiod, I’ve been trying to counter that by dosing a tighter window to add Alk (time released) to match depletion window. Right now I’m testing between 6am-noon dosing window, but maybe I’ll try 1pm-7pm as that’s my peak photoperiod if it’s typically about 24 hours?
Every tank is going to be different in how fast its processed. But mine seems like its somewhere in the 12-24hr period. I dont have auto testing I do it by hand hannah or redsea. I dose every night at about 6pm thats right in the middle of my reefs day.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose 4 times a day and it varies depending on alkalinity test results. I mix it half strength so you would have to cut my amount is half to get the full strength dose amount. I have 42 gallon hex tank. Here is my schedule. I would not fit on one screenshot. The dosing amounts is the schedule are per day so you would divide them by 4 to get the dose per time. Since is is dynamic it varies depending on the alkalinity reading. I also attached a portion of the dosing output log.

IMG_0752.png

IMG_0753.png

IMG_0754.png

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 105 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back