Potassium nitrate (Spectracide stump remover) dosing steps

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read through this entire thread, so my apologies in advance if this information is in here somewhere already.
Is there a rule of thumb regarding good nitrate levels in relation to alkalinity?
In previous reading on this it seemed that the higher the alkalinity the higher the nitrate needed to be in order to be effective.
Is this the case? If so what sorts of nitrate levels relative to alkalinity are we talking about?

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. It has almost been a week since I started dosing. I see some green color starting to come back in some of my SPS that looked bleached. I am holding somewhere between 2.5 - 5 of nitrate using the Salifert test. I currently dose 1ml a day of the spectracide solution. I have also noticed a reduction in my algae on the glass. I am still dosing carbon/bacteria in the system using the aquaforest line. I may decreased my amino acid dosing. I also run carbon and zeolites. I have a 7.5dkh and 420ppm for calcium. The only odd thing I have noticed is the water is somewhat hazy. My guess is dosing nitrate has caused a change in the Bactria population and the tank is adjusting to the addition of nitrate.

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read through this entire thread, so my apologies in advance if this information is in here somewhere already.
Is there a rule of thumb regarding good nitrate levels in relation to alkalinity?
In previous reading on this it seemed that the higher the alkalinity the higher the nitrate needed to be in order to be effective.
Is this the case? If so what sorts of nitrate levels relative to alkalinity are we talking about?
i may update my writeup on this as it is only touched on.

the simplest way i can explain is this...

0-20 nitrate
0-.1 po4
7-14 alk
0-1000 par (add 100 or 200)

interpolate the numbers

eg: 0 nitrate, 0 po4, keep alk at 7 and par lower (0+200)

10 nitrate, .05 po4 , try 11 alk, 6-700 par

untested:
20 nitrate, .1 po4, try 14 alk, 1000-1200 par

your mileage will vary as every tank is different

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i may update my writeup on this as it is only touched on.

the simplest way i can explain is this...

0-20 nitrate
0-.1 po4
7-14 alk
0-1000 par (add 100 or 200)

interpolate the numbers

eg: 0 nitrate, 0 po4, keep alk at 7 and par lower (0+200)

10 nitrate, .05 po4 , try 11 alk, 6-700 par

untested:
20 nitrate, .1 po4, try 14 alk, 1000-1200 par

your mileage will vary as every tank is different
That is precisely the rule of thumb I was looking for...
So I'm at 7.8 dKH alkalinity, 1ppm nitrate, .01 ppm PO4, and around 300-400 PAR (best guess)
I think I'm in the ball park?

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is precisely the rule of thumb I was looking for...
So I'm at 7.8 dKH alkalinity, 1ppm nitrate, .01 ppm PO4, and around 300-400 PAR (best guess)
I think I'm in the ball park?

Yes you are in the ultra low nutrient spectrum

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. It has almost been a week since I started dosing. I see some green color starting to come back in some of my SPS that looked bleached. I am holding somewhere between 2.5 - 5 of nitrate using the Salifert test. I currently dose 1ml a day of the spectracide solution. I have also noticed a reduction in my algae on the glass. I am still dosing carbon/bacteria in the system using the aquaforest line. I may decreased my amino acid dosing. I also run carbon and zeolites. I have a 7.5dkh and 420ppm for calcium. The only odd thing I have noticed is the water is somewhat hazy. My guess is dosing nitrate has caused a change in the Bactria population and the tank is adjusting to the addition of nitrate.

Since I started dosing glass algae grows much slower and snotty brown dinos died out in my sps tank. In my mixed reef tank, my nitrates are close to ten and there is no sign of hair algae or other nuisance algae. My theory is that nuisance algae, dinos (at least the species in my tank), and cyano (?) are more phosphate orientated then corals and other photosythetic inverts, so they are able to thrive when nitrates are very low (and drive them even lower). When nitrates rise, the corals, etc. (who are nitrate orientated) are able to outcompete the nuisance species as they (corals) also require a small amount of phosphate. Just my theory. And not too well stated...sorry, no time, back to work.

jumplittlechloe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. Now that you mention it I also notice the snotty brown dinos or some sort of brown algae starting to die back on the rocks.

The-Russ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am VERY interested to see what happens in my tank. I am on day 3 and my nitrates are at 3-4ppm

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am VERY interested to see what happens in my tank. I am on day 3 and my nitrates are at 3-4ppm

best indicator is at night.... turn on your actinics. you will notice some corals will fluoresce on the tips... and then grow each evening.

marco fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
So here are a few pics, started today on the spectracide. Let's see the improvement!!!

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I would like my sps to show colors. Do you think 10 ml of the spectracide for a 40 gallon tank and a 25 gallon sump is good

i think you should blue up your spectrum if you want additional color.

the colors in those pics do not represent nitrogen deficiency.

Reef UP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I started dosing today
Total water volume 220g
40b refugium
40b sump
curve9 skimmer
Rowaphos in reactor
168g DT
90 mangroves between sump and fuge
Parameters
Alk 8.5
Cal 480
Mag 1500
No3 0
Po4 undetectable elos pro kit
I dosed 15 ml this am and it bumped up no3 to 5ish half hour later by tonight it was zero again I guess my nutrient uptake kicks butt?
Question I have is should I space out multiple doses throughout the day? Any recommendations on how much? I mixed 2 cups stump remover to 1 gallon of Rodi for a stock solution
Thanks happy reefing

The-Russ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to dose Potassium Nitrate because of this thread and I have been thinking. Potassium is not a nutrient that our systems consume a lot of and although no one has stated they have seen elevated levels of Potassium, I assume there is a risk. Has anyone tried using Calcium Nitrate? Calcium is something we are always dosing and while I am sure there is not a lot of calcium that would be added, it could remove the risk of a Potassium Overdoes.

Vaughn17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to dose Potassium Nitrate because of this thread and I have been thinking. Potassium is not a nutrient that our systems consume a lot of and although no one has stated they have seen elevated levels of Potassium, I assume there is a risk. Has anyone tried using Calcium Nitrate? Calcium is something we are always dosing and while I am sure there is not a lot of calcium that would be added, it could remove the risk of a Potassium Overdoes.

I worry about too much potassium, too. I believe that Randy said it would not be a problem. I would like to hear his thoughts on Calcium nitrate. Especially since I heard that Salifert stopped making a potassium test kit.

Back