Powder Blue Tang Ick?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heroo, so I bought this BEAUTIFUL powder blue tang from a new LFS I found, and I didn't even think they had fish, and boom the fish I had been searching for was staring at me. Now, not so happily ever after, I bought him on Wednesday 9-6-23, and did a 3-hour slow drip, they also informed me he has just come in and just got acclimated to their tanks so 0 quartine from them. But super good Labor Day deal I couldn't pass up on so worth the risk. Now, I was investigating him today and I took a video of what I saw, look like ick? but not 100% sure. Let me know what you think it is and what you would do to treat him. I haven't treated him for anything just dripped him and added him to a 5 gal. quartine and he's been eating pellets, shrimp, and Sally's seaweed like a monster.

Attachments

• IMG_2400.mp4
    3.6 MB

Pickle_soup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it to me. You can go with coppersafe and prezipro. Just add an air stone.
Heroo, so I bought this BEAUTIFUL powder blue tang from a new LFS I found, and I didn't even think they had fish, and boom the fish I had been searching for was staring at me. Now, not so happily ever after, I bought him on Wednesday 9-6-23, and did a 3-hour slow drip, they also informed me he has just come in and just got acclimated to their tanks so 0 quartine from them. But super good Labor Day deal I couldn't pass up on so worth the risk. Now, I was investigating him today and I took a video of what I saw, look like ick? but not 100% sure. Let me know what you think it is and what you would do to treat him. I haven't treated him for anything just dripped him and added him to a 5 gal. quartine and he's been eating pellets, shrimp, and Sally's seaweed like a monster.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These guys often eat well. As you have found, buying a new arrival and No quarantine with a fish known to contract ich is a huge mistake. Skipping quarantine and you will need to treat it using Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. With such a small tank provided for quarantine, you will find yourself doing frequent water changes as I recommend No less than a 10 gallon tank for this type of fish. 5 gallon is only 13". With water changes likely needed, you will be mixing quite a bit of replacement water with copper for water changes
Prazi will do nothing for this fish as its not a worm issue

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys often eat well. As you have found, buying a new arrival and No quarantine with a fish known to contract ich is a huge mistake. Skipping quarantine and you will need to treat it using Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. With such a small tank provided for quarantine, you will find yourself doing frequent water changes as I recommend No less than a 10 gallon tank for this type of fish. 5 gallon is only 13". With water changes likely needed, you will be mixing quite a bit of replacement water with copper for water changes
Prazi will do nothing for this fish as its not a worm issue
So, I do not have a bigger quartine tank at the moment, so I'll have to deal with making water for the water changes. how frequent of water changes? Would Fritz Coppersafe work? Would a Sailfert Copper test work? I have an extra pump I can put in there for air, also have been testing it, and it's looking stable parameters. Would it be advised against taking water out of my main 55-gallon tank and putting it into the 5-gallon to get him more used to the tank or make him fresh saltwater? Also, what percent of water changes?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
So, I do not have a bigger quartine tank at the moment, so I'll have to deal with making water for the water changes. how frequent of water changes? Would Fritz Coppersafe work? Would a Sailfert Copper test work? I have an extra pump I can put in there for air, also have been testing it, and it's looking stable parameters. Would it be advised against taking water out of my main 55-gallon tank and putting it into the 5-gallon to get him more used to the tank or make him fresh saltwater? Also, what percent of water changes?
Fritz coppersafe is what you want and if water in 55 gallon tank is where tang came from, iy may be infected - Do not use it.
Salifert kit will work, just a little harder to acquire desired readings. As for water changes, a reliable test kit will help determine the need to change. If water is stable - thats good. When you get to treatment level - copper will be stable as it does not evaporate

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fritz coppersafe is what you want and if water in 55 gallon tank is where tang came from, iy may be infected - Do not use it.
Salifert kit will work, just a little harder to acquire desired readings. As for water changes, a reliable test kit will help determine the need to change. If water is stable - thats good. When you get to treatment level - copper will be stable as it does not evaporate
The tang has not touched my 55-gallon tank, been in the 5-gallon from the second I got him. Now what do you mean by a better test kit will tell me when I need to change? like should I just do 20% each week and once I mix the salt water just match the 2.5ppm of copper in the fresh saltwater?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The tang has not touched my 55-gallon tank, been in the 5-gallon from the second I got him. Now what do you mean by a better test kit will tell me when I need to change? like should I just do 20% each week and once I mix the salt water just match the 2.5ppm of copper in the fresh saltwater?
Yes you can do weekly changes and not better test kit but reliable kit such as Hanna. False reading from cheaper kits as you can imagine dont end well

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back