Powder Brown Tang with raised white spots

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning guys,

I've had a Powder Brown Tang in QT for 4+ weeks. He started out with some funny spots on his fin and eye, so I did two rounds of PraziPro. They eye cleared up quickly, the fin looked a bit better, but not completely healed.

I followed that up with 5 days of Metro+Focus+Garlic and it was looking better. Last night of that treatment was Monday and it had cleared up. I noticed however 3 or 4 small white specks on his sides. Something more to keep an eye on...

When I checked on him last night the specks were gone, but I saw the large white spot you can see in the picture. It's raised and fleshy looking. There's a similar, smaller spot on the opposite side, but it runs more vertically.

His behavior is totally normal, eating great. In fact, last night he had more of an appetite than he's had the whole 4 weeks prior.

Thanks,
Steve

k0wgouao7fl01.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a cyst. May just have to wait for it to pop, if and when it does, keep an eye out for a secondary bacterial infection. I would keep metroplex+kanaplex+furan-2 (the trifecta) on deck just in case. Could be lympho, but it if that were the case time and a healthy diet would allow it to cure itself. Lets get some other opinions for you.

@4FordFamily @Humblefish @Big G

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually already looks infected, based on the redness around the affected area and the overall appearance of this fish, I would bet that it is. Feeding antibiotics aren’t very effective for these types of injuries (or most, for that matter).

I’d dose antibiotics now, and keep them dosed per instructions for 10-14 days in total. Kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 would be the trifecta I would use.

Note that kanaplex and metroplex need dosed every other day, furan 2 every day.

OP
OP
N

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually already looks infected, based on the redness around the affected area and the overall appearance of this fish, I would bet that it is. Feeding antibiotics aren’t very effective for these types of injuries (or most, for that matter).

I’d dose antibiotics now, and keep them dosed per instructions for 10-14 days in total. Kanaplex, metroplex, and furan 2 would be the trifecta I would use.

Note that kanaplex and metroplex need dosed every other day, furan 2 every day.

I like your suggestion, since I have all those medications on hand. I'll just note, in person the ring around the affected area looks more purple than red. Though that could be the lighting.

What do you mean about the overall appearance? I struggle knowing when new (to me) species look "normal" so I'd really appreciate the insight into what about him looks off.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be sure it is NOT a parasitic isopod... It is remaining stationary on the fish, correct??

OP
OP
N

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Just got a chance to compare it to the picture from last night. It is smaller and has definitely moved.

The one on the other side is gone.

OP
OP
N

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was not cooperating at all for a picture tonight.

Hopefully you can see, the spot was at the top of his back last night, now it's about halfway down. And smaller.

20180313_200827.jpg

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting — if it’s an isopod that’s some sinister stuff!

Regarding the appearance of a fish with infection — redness of course but also discoloration, fins that are “laying down” and overall posture and behavior lead me down that way.

I’d be pretty upset about an isopod, too!

OP
OP
N

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any detail like that. It just looks like a fleshy spot.

He ate great again tonight. Behavior is a little off. He keeps swimming sideways, like he's trying to rub the spot on the bottom of the tank.

Is it worth trying to catch him to get a better look at the spot? I hesitate to stress him any further.

OP
OP
N

NerdCage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I grabbed him and got some pictures. Wish I could capture better ones with my phone.

The spot is almost completely gone. Definitely not an isopod (unless the isopod let go and this is just the damage left behind?)

Tried to get a close-up, but it's not great.

The other side has two black spots they don't look like anything on the fish, just two black patches.

Overall he looked a bit pink. Now I've never seen him under anything but the LED reef lights, so maybe this appearance is normal, maybe not. I'm not sure.

At this point since it's looking better on its own I'm going to hold off on medication until you guys take a look at these pictures. I'll keep up with the Selcon, Seaweed, and Garlic.

20180314_001501.jpg

20180314_001558.jpg

20180314_001534.jpg

20180314_001657.jpg

20180314_001710.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark spots could be bite marks or possibly a bacterial infection: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

I think I would dose a mild antibiotic, such as Kanaplex; but you might need to add Furan-2 + Metroplex to that if his condition worsens.

And keep your eye out for a rogue isopod running around the QT, just in case. ;)

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, time for antibiotics for that fella!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back