Powerhead Placement

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to the hobby and I'm racking my brain trying to figure out where to place my two powerheads. I have several frags some seem to be doing fine but I'm trying to make my hammer more comfortable by finding a good spot with good flow to accommodate it and the other coral I have. I also have a favite, psammocora, a chalice and several zoanthids. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. It's a 120g tall tank. I have two sisce powerheads I got with the tank that push water all the way across the tank to the other side. I'm using an LED powerstrip at the moment.
IMG_20180803_111606.jpg

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a way to make the pumps alternate? I have found that corals are happiest when the flow varies. Even just one on and the other off with that switching every 10 minutes or so would do wonders. That being said, I would consider moving the one on the right in the picture lower (without pulling sand) and towards the front of the tank. Aim it a little up and towards the back wall. See what that does. You'll probably need to move the corals that are in the sand bed towards the rock if they are corals that like lower flow. They're pretty exposed at the moment.
flow.JPG

OP
OP
K

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have a Hydor Koralia Smart Wave pump controller. I will try that and see what happens. I was trying to not overexposed them to the light while acclimating them to the tank but any suggestion on coral placement are more than welcome.

OP
OP
K

KJa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do liked the new flow pattern in the tank. Here are the updated placements with me attempting to place coral in better locations. I did say attempting. LOL

IMG_20180810_101104.jpg

IMG_20180810_101119.jpg

IMG_20180810_101114.jpg

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back