Powerheads based on tank size/shape?

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For lighting, reviews and information focuses a lot on the relevant geometry. Meaning, spread, depth, etc. One can easily figure out, for example, how mant AI Primes for a 125 6ft tank versus a smaller tank half the size. Great info.

On powerheads, however, the information seems to focus on features and flow amount only, not as much on geometry. Am I missing something? I mean, the different space considerations between a 2 ft, 4 ft, and 6 ft tank seem to affect flow tremendously, making each likely a candidate for a different type of powerheads, powerhead placement, etc. And yet, reviews seem to focus on things like ease of cleaning, where th cords are, programming, etc., but not geometric concerns.

Does, for example, a gyre work ideally on a 4 ft tank but less effective shorter or longer? Might a gyre in the middle of a 6 ft tank coupled with say traditionals at each end be a great setup for a longer tank?

Any thoughts on this?

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The geometry of flow (fluid dynamics) is much harder to measure than many other aspects of our aquariums and so there is not as much specific technical advice. You need expensive gear to measure and monitor it and it is very hard to model. What there is plenty of good info on are specific approaches to flow such as a Gyre setup, positioning powerheads etc....Also you do not want to create static laminar flow. The main considerations from my perspective are firstly what type of animals you will keep (fish are not fussy on flow, SPS need high random flow), what your aquascape will be and then what tank shape and size you have.

Bigger the tank and the more obtrusive your aquascape the more gear you will need to create good flow everywhere.

I have my flow setup to keep SPS and I try to have random strong flows throughout the tank using a combination of Tunze Streams on a controller a Maxspect Gyre and my 8000lph return. Try to avoid having spots where uneaten food settles and stays.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back