pretreating for infections on new fish

JustAnotherReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for those without a QT tank setup.

I recently moved and do not have a QT tank setup and received a free fish that has been in copper treated water for 3 weeks would it wise to pretreat the tank ?

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must define what copper treated water means. If copper levels were not in therapeutic range and maintained in this range over this period then the treatment was useless. If you know that the treatment was done properly then only do what is necessary. Maybe treat for flukes.
Please check the info published in the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis forum.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless this is from a good friend who you trust I would not assume the copper was run correctly. I would ask your LFS to hold the fish or s friend to then set up a QT. There are too many ways to earn a 76 day fallow period doing this.

OP
OP
JustAnotherReefer

JustAnotherReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must define what copper treated water means. If copper levels were not in therapeutic range and maintained in this range over this period then the treatment was useless. If you know that the treatment was done properly then only do what is necessary. Maybe treat for flukes.
Please check the info published in the Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis forum.

the fish came from a LFS I am unsure of what level of copper they're using in their tanks

Unless this is from a good friend who you trust I would not assume the copper was run correctly. I would ask your LFS to hold the fish or s friend to then set up a QT. There are too many ways to earn a 76 day fallow period doing this.

fish came out of a LFS it was one of the longer stays they had I would be assuming that they had it in the correct range for 21+ days

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the fish came from a LFS I am unsure of what level of copper they're using in their tanks

fish came out of a LFS it was one of the longer stays they had I would be assuming that they had it in the correct range for 21+ days

Most LFS run sub therapeutic levels and tbh with as much water as they lose to evaporatation and sales of fish I would consider that fish to have not been in therapeutic copper. It’s just not worth the risk with as full of disease the fish distribution system is these days.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 41 46.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.7%

Back