Problems with API test kit?

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I use a APi master test kit to check basic parameters nitrite nitrate and ammonia.
Has anyone else noticed that the ammonia is always 0.25? Can it be lower in terms of the colour seen. I doubt I have 0.2.5 ammonia since I started the tank 1 year ago. I definitely know it works however as when I was cycling my rock the colour went DAAAARK green being maybe 10 PPM for ammonia.

I am also having some issues with my nitrate it used to be 5ppm but now honestly it’s been what looks like 0ppm for the last month. The tank was FALLOW but I added my fish back and I am feeding the tank a lot. But it still shows as 0? Am I doing something wrong

15A67ACC-C5E4-4066-8D0A-CB17FDFC9BBE.jpeg

Nemo1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api test kits are known for their ammonia reading to show 0.25, im not sure about the nitrates, better to get a more reliable test kit than the api

OP
OP
Saaqib_Ansari

Saaqib_Ansari

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The api test kits are known for their ammonia reading to show 0.25, im not sure about the nitrates, better to get a more reliable test kit than the api
My nitrates used to be 5-10ppm I’ve definitely seen that one work just not sure why my nitrates are so low right now and why they aren’t going up with all the feeding

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think EVERYONE has noticed that the API ammonia is always at .25! LOL

API takes a beating of criticism with their accuracy. Personally, while I like them, I don't rely solely on them.

I like API because the testing steps are easy and you get results relatively quickly. Add to that they are relatively inexpensive tests and they are a good test for frequent monitoring of your parameters.

When the API shows me something that raises a concern, I back up the results by using my Red Sea kits which are I find to be much more accurate.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed with ammonia. I always get something but now you know when using that test.
Nitrate is probably close to 0. If you always do your testing in the same steps in the same manner, it is pretty reliable generally speaking.
There will always be nitrate in the water colum but the test will show 0. You can always get test kit that will test smaller numbers. API is good to get general health of the tank, fast results. For instance, now if you get ammonia more than .25,you know something is off.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some of the newer findings on what ammonia does in reef tanks helps explain why these tests show low residual ammonia

(new to us in hobby, wastewater techs been measuring ammonia with calibrated gear for four decades probably lol)

these tests are calibrated on the card to zero, but there's not a zero sum in active reefing its always ammonia converting to less harmful forms at .00x thousandths ppm, all tanks that use typical rocks and sand / qt tanks and low surface area tanks are excluded from total predictability.

these testers register stark change nicely

but not low level, thousandths ppm is digitial measure zone only.

if api turns hard green one day and you cant find some fish/legit alert.

for truth in what ammonia does, go seneye or just forego testing for ammonia anyway. it never does unpredictable things.

MJ in Boise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have the master kit it has extra vials. Do the same test on a vial of ro water as a standard and compare to your real test.

Back