Proper placement for a frogspawn and a golden torch

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up a frogspawn and a golden torch over the weekend and was curious as to the proper placement, lighting and flow for each one. I have a Red Sea Reefer 250 which has a 54 gallon DT.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placement is different depending on the tank, lighting, and flow. Torches can be acclimated to higher lighting and flow over time, not really sure about frogspawn as I have never owned one. Initially I always place my torches at the bottom of my tank in the least amount of lighting and flow and move them as they adjust. I have a mix reef tank with a 40x turnover, show my flow is strong. They are both LPS, so the recommendation is med light, roughly 100 par or so and medium flow. I look at a torch like this, if they have thin longer tentacles they seem to like a little higher flow and variable flow direction, if they have short fat tentacles then they like lower variable flow. I hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of your tank? It would help to visualize where you are thinking of placing it. What billlg said correct for torches, I typically start mine on frag rack in medium light about 150-160 par. Frogspawn will acclimate in a similar manner... moderate flow don't blast them.

Here is a picture of my tank... most of our euphyllia live at the middle portion of the tank. Our frog and octospawns live on the substrate.

IMG-1828.jpg

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of your tank? It would help to visualize where you are thinking of placing it. What billlg said correct for torches, I typically start mine on frag rack in medium light about 150-160 par. Frogspawn will acclimate in a similar manner... moderate flow don't blast them.

Here is a picture of my tank... most of our euphyllia live at the middle portion of the tank. Our frog and octospawns live on the substrate.

IMG-1828.jpg

what’s the best thing to leave them on the bottom? Just on frag plugs?

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to leave the frag plugs on (in case of hitchhikers) but they will work if I have to keep it on I'll clip the plug and bury it or if you have rubble take it off the plug and attach it with glue to that. Just make sure that if you have snails or a conch they might dig under it with a possibility of knocking it over though that's only happened once. and never in the bigger tank

canadianeh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try not to leave the frag plugs on (in case of hitchhikers) but they will work if I have to keep it on I'll clip the plug and bury it or if you have rubble take it off the plug and attach it with glue to that. Just make sure that if you have snails or a conch they might dig under it with a possibility of knocking it over though that's only happened once. and never in the bigger tank

What do you mean by "clip it"? You mean cutting or trimming the plug foot? What's the best tool to cut plug foot or remove frag from plug?

BighohoReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes clipping the plug foot, depending on how long the frag plug itself has been attached to the coral it can be a huge pain to take off because of the glue setting, I’ve cracked two euphyllia skeletons trying to take off them off the frag plug. I’ve gotten better tools but I’m still gun shy taking them off the frag plug itself.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back