Protein Skimmer for AIO 100 Gallon Tank

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am brand new at this- just bought a 100 gallon AIO aquarium. I've been reading books and articles online and am now accumulating all the stuff I need for a successful tank. But I am stumped on where to find a protein skimmer that is appropriate for a 100 gallon tank and that will actually fit in the small compartment in the back...max dimensions cannot exceed 3.5" x 6.5"...the height obviously is not an issue. I've found a bunch that would fit in the tank but they are recommended for 35 gallon or 60 gallon tanks. I plan (someday) to have a combination of fish and soft coral.... Anyone know of a skimmer that would work?

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK... so I just saw this on another thread
"a 100 gallon tank with rock and other components, will have in essence 80 USEABLE gallons" ....if that's the case, I could probably get away with a Tunze 9004.000 Comline DOC Skimmer??? Yes or no??

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"a 100 gallon tank with rock and other components, will have in essence 80 USEABLE gallons" ....if that's the case, I could probably get away with a Tunze 9004.000 Comline DOC Skimmer??? Yes or no??
Yes and no. What is the tank that you got? Generally speaking, even with water displacement you'd want to get a skimmer rated for the size of the tank. If you get a smaller skimmer, you will have to empty the collection cup more frequently.

Based on your space though, you might have to do with what you can and a TunZe is a good skimmer.

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes and no. What is the tank that you got? Generally speaking, even with water displacement you'd want to get a skimmer rated for the size of the tank. If you get a smaller skimmer, you will have to empty the collection cup more frequently.

Based on your space though, you might have to do with what you can and a TunZe is a good skimmer.
Thank you for responding! I have a Clear for Life Uniquarium ...100 gallons...it is 60" x 18" x 20"...but 5" is allotted to the compartments at the back for the filter, heater and protein skimmer. So the actual tank size is 60" x13" x 20" and when I do calculate how much water can fit in that area, its only 67.53 gallons. Add to that the displacement by the live rock and substrate and I think the TunZe should be fine. And while we're on the subject, when I start getting livestock for my tank, I should base the quantity of fish on a 68 gallon tank not a 100 gallon tank...right?

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Thank you for responding! I have a Clear for Life Uniquarium ...100 gallons...it is 60" x 18" x 20"...but 5" is allotted to the compartments at the back for the filter, heater and protein skimmer. So the actual tank size is 60" x13" x 20" and when I do calculate how much water can fit in that area, its only 67.53 gallons. Add to that the displacement by the live rock and substrate and I think the TunZe should be fine. And while we're on the subject, when I start getting livestock for my tank, I should base the quantity of fish on a 68 gallon tank not a 100 gallon tank...right?
Great question, I'd still look at it as 100 gallon. Most everyone that has a 100 gallon has less space as you point out, but rock displacement of water is just considered "habitat" and I think you can still stock fish like a 100 gallon. For example, I think you should get a bristletooth tang for algae management and those or a tomini can work in a 100 gallon.

The thing to note is you have a five foot tank so they have the room to swim back and forth.

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome- I love the advice on livestock. TBH I really want to stock my aquarium with colorful beautiful fish and those recommendations are perfect. Any advice you have on colorful fish and colorful soft coral for beginners would be greatly appreciated. I could definitely use advice as to how many fish I should get, how many at a time, which ones first, which ones to avoid as a beginner, which soft coral should I start with...should the coral come first then the fish or vice versa. I am reading a lot and understand that I have to be careful about introducing fish to the aquarium, that some fish don't get along with others, etc. I bought a 15 gallon tank as a quarantine tank and an acclimation box (breeder box) for when I start actually getting fish but I have a way to go before that happens. Thanks again for responding....I need all the advice I can get

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be a little small for your tank. If having an internal skimmer is acceptable for you, you could go with the Tunze 9012 (I suggest DC). That’s what I have for my 75 gallons.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 9012 would be my first choice but I'm afraid it won't fit into your chamber. The DC 9004 as suggested will fit. Tunze has the best support in the business.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 9012 would be my first choice but I'm afraid it won't fit into your chamber. The DC 9004 as suggested will fit. Tunze has the best support in the business.
There is an internal version of it. It hangs inside the tank with strong magnets. It’s black so it blends in.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything that fits is better than nothing. While the dissolved organic part of skimming might be diminished with a smaller skimmer, the gas exchange and aeration will still be good. Just do the best that you can and don't sweat if it is too small.

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That might be the best idea and open up a lot more possibilities. Keep in mind until about 2 weeks ago I had never heard the term protein skimmer so I'll be asking really basic questions here. The tank is empty ...we're getting live rock to create an aquascape so water is probably a week or 2 away. I have been told not to use the protein skimmer while cycling the tank for the first time. We have a 16 gallon sump in the cabinet below the tank. Can I put the protein skimmer in that and just run a tube up to that little compartment? and then a pump would be in the compartment at the back of the aquarium?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an internal version of it. It hangs inside the tank with strong magnets. It’s black so it blends in.
Yes, I have it, it's just a larger version of the 9004. They are both internal. I think she wants to hide it in the chamber, but it sounds like she has a sump. @JillB is the tank an AIO or does it have an overflow and sump with a return pump? If the latter is the case, your skimmer options just grew.

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an AIO. We are getting a sump for the cabinet below it….the cabinet has limited space….can only accommodate a sump 28”x10.5” x 18”

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is the water going to get down there? Do you plan on using a hang on overflow? The back chambers of an AIO tank are the "sump".

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly I am in way over my head. We were getting the sump so we could use an ATO. I hadn’t considered putting the protein skimmer in it until someone mentioned that. Is that not possible?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are confusing a sump with a reservoir to store your make up water in? If that is the case your skimmer will have to reside in the back chambers.

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly I am in way over my head. We were getting the sump so we could use an ATO. I hadn’t considered putting the protein skimmer in it until someone mentioned that. Is that not possible?
Do you mean « ATO reservoir », not sump ? The ATO reservoir is where you will keep rodi water to make up for evaporated water. The ATO output will have to go into the display somewhere or in the back compartment of your AIO tank.

The ATO reservoir can sit under the tank, in the stand. You can’t use a sump with an ATO, unless you use a hang on back overflow, but then what’s the point of having an AIO ?

It’s just semantics but it can become confusing if you don’t use the right words. It will come. :)

OP
OP
JillB

JillB

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you are confusing a sump with a reservoir to store your make up water in? If that is the case your skimmer will have to reside in the back chambers.
yes I am....I know just enough to be dangerous. So then I will have to get the Tunze 9004 - a bit undersized but it's the only one that fit. I spoke to the manufacturer of the Clear For Life Uniquarium and they agreed that this was the only protein skimmer they knew of that would fit in their product. Not a well thought out product design for sure. As I understand it (and I certainly could be and probably am wrong), but with the smaller capacity skimmer, I'll have to empty the collection cup more frequently...Is that correct?

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get the 9004 DC (definitely get the DC) dialed in you can adjust the viscosity of the skimmate so it's more concentrated and fills the cup more slowly. Being able to control the speed of the pump on the DC model really helps with this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back