Protein skimmer on rimmed tank barely fits

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I purchased the bullet-2 protein skimmer for my 40 Breeder tank, and the rim on my tank is just slightly too thick for the skimmer. Applying enough pressure, I was able to get it into the rim, but now I am unable to move the skimmer or take it off. Should I leave it be, or will the pressure on the rim become a problem over time?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,
I purchased the bullet-2 protein skimmer for my 40 Breeder tank, and the rim on my tank is just slightly too thick for the skimmer. Applying enough pressure, I was able to get it into the rim, but now I am unable to move the skimmer or take it off. Should I leave it be, or will the pressure on the rim become a problem over time?
It will probably be fine, though eventually you will probably want to remove it for maintenance. If the tank is empty I would use a file to thin the inner part of the rim just enough. If tank is full I would use a knife or razor to cut out a section of the inner rim only in the place you need the room.

1705206811056.png

Last edited:

AustinBabler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same skimmer and planned to use it on 40 breeder. Had the same issue. I haven’t gotten around to it yet because I’ve been plowing snow but I noticed there’s a lip on the skimmer part. It’d be the front edge that holds the side of the tank. I was going to file those smooth with a dremel tool then try it again. Does your skimmer rub on the outside of the tank? When I tried to test fit it looked like it might. So I was going to get some adhesive foam stuff for between the tank glass and the skimmer body.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same skimmer and planned to use it on 40 breeder. Had the same issue. I haven’t gotten around to it yet because I’ve been plowing snow but I noticed there’s a lip on the skimmer part. It’d be the front edge that holds the side of the tank. I was going to file those smooth with a dremel tool then try it again. Does your skimmer rub on the outside of the tank? When I tried to test fit it looked like it might. So I was going to get some adhesive foam stuff for between the tank glass and the skimmer body.
I was going to take out the lip on the skimmer too, but decided that it’d be easier to file the plastic on the tank frame than the acrylic on the skimmer.
As far as the outside of the tank goes, it does appear to make contact with the glass. However, I have a plastic black screen on the back wall of the tank, which protects the glass anyway. Putting foam could be a wise decision, though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back