Protein skimmer tuning

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so recently i decided to get rid of the canister filter and set up a sump and skimmer for the first time, reef octopus 110 int and im using a cpr cs50 overflow box, the only issue i’m running into is i’m running my pump dry and i’m not sure if the overflow just isn’t catching up or if my pumps too powerful, it’s an orlushy dc 4000 same one my brother in law uses it’s cheap and has a good dc setting so that’s why i got it, and can someone tell me if my protein skimmer is skimming well, it’s brand new and doing my research says it’s normal for it overflow a bit and get crazy sometimes before it breaks in, should i mess with the water level since my sump has an adjustable baffle to change the water height until i get it right?

Attachments

• filtered-CBB4E33F-5DAD-46DC-BA3A-B3FA46898BB5.mp4
    4.4 MB

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
so recently i decided to get rid of the canister filter and set up a sump and skimmer for the first time, reef octopus 110 int and im using a cpr cs50 overflow box, the only issue i’m running into is i’m running my pump dry and i’m not sure if the overflow just isn’t catching up or if my pumps too powerful, it’s an orlushy dc 4000 same one my brother in law uses it’s cheap and has a good dc setting so that’s why i got it, and can someone tell me if my protein skimmer is skimming well, it’s brand new and doing my research says it’s normal for it overflow a bit and get crazy sometimes before it breaks in, should i mess with the water level since my sump has an adjustable baffle to change the water height until i get it right?
I would let the skimmer run for a bit and let it overflow. May take a week or so to break in.

The pump may be too powerful for the overflow you have. What's the pump rated for and what's the overflow rated for?

One option, cut in a tee with a ball valve and bypass some of the flow back into the sump. You can adjust the height in your tank that way.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the pump is rated 1050gph and my overflow is rated for 300gph, I can only assume it’s probably too powerful, i’m running a 3/4 tubing from my pump as well.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The best way to make sure everything is running good together - shut the sump off, see where the water level stops in the tank. Raise the overflow baffles if it's too low (you may have to drill an anti-siphon hole in the return tube just at the water level when it's running. Turn the sump on and adjust the valve on the tee so that the water level in the tank is where you want it and let it run for an hour or two to make sure it's good. Turn the sump off and let the water settle, then fill the sump to your comfortable level, turn the sump back on and mark the "running" water level in the return section. That's your top-off level.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
the pump is rated 1050gph and my overflow is rated for 300gph, I can only assume it’s probably too powerful, i’m running a 3/4 tubing from my pump as well.
Definitely. You can add a second overflow or upsize the one you have or cut in the bypass tee.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely. You can add a second overflow or upsize the one you have or cut in the bypass tee.
i got the pump recently on amazon so i’m thinking about just sending it back probably the easiest and less time consuming option should i get something just a little more than 300gph or what do you recommend? the tee to a ball valve back into my sump doesn’t sound like a bad idea either so i could just do that since i have most of the materials anyways but i’m gonna weigh in my options

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i got the pump recently on amazon so i’m thinking about just sending it back probably the easiest and less time consuming option should i get something just a little more than 300gph or what do you recommend? the tee to a ball valve back into my sump doesn’t sound like a bad idea either so i could just do that since i have most of the materials anyways but i’m gonna weigh in my options
Do you have a refugium section in your sump?

What size is your tank?

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh, and I'd recommend taking the skimmer cup off and just letting the skimmer run.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35 gallon cube 15 gal ice cap sump and there is no refugium section unfortunately, my stand doesn’t really have a whole lot of room to stick a huge sump so i went with this

Attachments

• IMG_1661.jpeg
    IMG_1661.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 25

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
35 gallon cube 15 gal ice cap sump and there is no refugium section unfortunately, my stand doesn’t really have a whole lot of room to stick a huge sump so i went with this
I'd return the pump then. Seems way more than what your tank needs. I would try to match the flow as close to the overflow as possible to help prevent air accumulating in the overflow tubes. I'd recommend getting a 350-400 and plumb in the bypass tee.

OP
OP
L

LuckyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is even on its lowest setting it’s overflowing my sump i’m gonna go with ai’s new axis 400 pump and see how that works for me, i do really appreciate all your guys input i’m still learning as i go.

tbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
it is even on its lowest setting it’s overflowing my sump i’m gonna go with ai’s new axis 400 pump and see how that works for me, i do really appreciate all your guys input i’m still learning as i go.
This is a great place to come learn. Welcome!

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
over flowing sump? if its too big it should be lowering your sump

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a jebao DCP 3500 on my 75 with an eshopps pf300 overflow box.
I'm running about 200 gallons an hour through the box.
This would be a great pump for your application. It's silent, cheap and reliable.
You've only got 45 gallons tops.
@tbrown has been doing this a long time and has given some awesome help. Follow it.
My advice is only for the pump.
I bought the same orlushy pump for a spare and tried it. It really does push a lot of water. Too much for me so I sent it back and got another jebao.
Always have a spare pump.
Good luck, have fun and welcome welcome to R2R!
You came to the right place.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back