Pulsating Xenia

CAN_REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I am new to SW and running 55g saltwater tank for past two months and all parameters are fine have some live rock and my dead rock is turning live some green zoas are doing good. 2 weeks ago I bought big pulsating Xenia with 8 branches lost all branches after a week and now it looks like this with white skin like substance growing on the left over part please let me know if it's coming back or not.

a411096b6f102c1f3569b8eb0670a558.jpg

Joshua Hurst

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would take it out of the tank! i haven't the slightest on what it is. is it kinda slimy?

Twins Dragonz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to REEF2REEF.
First, new tank is always frustrated even though your water parameters are fine.
Second, Xenia or any type of softies like to have a little dirty water. Even now it looks like gone, but you never know it might come back in near future as long as the roots still there.
Third, be prepared once it comes back, you wish you would've never added to the first place.
Last but not least, everyone have different ideas and opinions to run their own tanks, the main thing for you to learn and be patience to get your own tank going.
Again, welcome to the club.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though it may need some nutrients to get settled
that doesn't look like dead xenia, it looks like sponge.
Are you running any chemical filtration?
Have you tested for No3 and po4? (nitrates and phosphates)
love the lil feather dusters. Im surprised the water isnt better.

Wy8tt_Earp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once it gets started Xenia will grow like a weed. I would highly recommend placing it in a location where it can be admired and appreciated for what it is but also isolated from all your other rock work and corals. Anyone that has ever tried to remove Xenia from their aquarium knows that every little piece of flesh left on the rock will grow a new Xenia stalk. Good luck!!

OP
OP
C

CAN_REEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't see nitrates not sure about phosphates don't see any hair algae I guess they are low

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back