Purple Firefish issue - Disease ID help please

over0066

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed a white thing attached to purple firefish behind his right pectoral fin. Read a few different threads and I think i know what it is, but would like experienced eyes to help, not to mention suggest best treatment. Video isn't great, but you should be able to see what I am talking about. I can try to get a better shot if this isn't adequate.

mike89t

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get it to play.

It was kind of hard to see. Maybe some kind of parasite like Serpentisaccus? @Jay Hemdal

Can you try and get a clear photo of it with your White lights on?

I was able to snap a pic from your video but it is really blurry:

firefish.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
over0066

over0066

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I will try again. I did a video because I can only see it for a split second and kept missing it in photos. He isn't very active in the open water unless I am feeding, so my opportunities are few. My camera also kept changing the white balance. Very frustrating, need to find my manual controls.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be an isopod or similar. Try a freshwater dip which may allow what it is to dislodge

OP
OP
over0066

over0066

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try it, but catching the firefish is going to be problematic. Besides destroying the tank chasing him with a net, is there a better way?

agame2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try it, but catching the firefish is going to be problematic. Besides destroying the tank chasing him with a net, is there a better way?
Set a trap to catch him. They have those bubble fish traps that shoot to the top when you release the magnet from the outside of the tank.

OP
OP
over0066

over0066

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that thread also. I didn't read it through to the end until now. I does look to be the exact same. I guess I am going to do some surgery on that guy. I will have to catch him first. Will try netting him when I feed the fish tomorrow.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw that thread also. I didn't read it through to the end until now. I does look to be the exact same. I guess I am going to do some surgery on that guy. I will have to catch him first. Will try netting him when I feed the fish tomorrow.
Here is an excerpt from my upcoming fish disease book on this:

The purple firefish, Nemateleotris magnifica has a copepod parasite specific to that species – Serpentisaccus magnificae. Described by George Blasiola in 1979, this parasite is seen on newly imported firefish. The body of the parasite is buried in the flank of the fish, behind the gills, either on one or both sides. When the female copepod develops its egg sacs, these emerge from the fish’s skin as tiny coiled strands. Treatment should not be attempted for this parasite, as the adults are buried too deeply into the body of the fish for physical removal to be done safely, and no known chemotherapeutic will eliminate internal crustacean parasites without also harming the host fish. This copepod is thought to have indirect development with a series of planktonic larval stages, so there is no real concern of the eggs hatching and then fully developing and causing reinfection of the host.

Sometimes, the fish die from this, especially if found on both sides of one fish.....

Jay

OP
OP
over0066

over0066

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the info. That certainly makes sense since we got the fish a few weeks ago and did not see any problems for at least 2 weeks. Does the parasite ever go away, or will it stay in the fish for its lifetime?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back