Purple Helix questions

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used purple helix few years ago and it worked well. Over time the coralline died off. I used Purple and Pink together four months ago and nothing happened. It could have been that the heat pack was dead when it arrived. Or possibly I didn't take enough measures. So I got another purple/pink helix bundle and I put it in a few weeks ago. This time I shut off most of the pumps, all of the filters and the skimmer. I left them off overnight. I'm hoping this time
it will have better results. Anybody have any experience and reviews using this?

Last edited:

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the coralline died off over time, that means it didn't have what it needs to thrive. once coralline takes hold, it generally will not stop unless your parameters or system fall out of whack.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
the bottled stuff is snake oil. i've used it, but i honestly had better results getting pieces of coralline algae from other tanks or frag plugs and chip off the pieces and left them in my DT. now i have CA around the edges of my glass and its atrocious....

if your CA has been dying off i would look at your trace elements, temp, salinity, or ALK/CAL.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I used this before and it worked well. I wonder if it was my lighting. I was using an Aquatic life 6 bulb 48" t5... using four bulbs. Since then I changed to two Maxspect Ethereals which my corals like but maybe thats why the coralline died.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you do frequent water changes? it could be that so much coraline grew that it depleted the elements? Depending on the salt you use maybe some elements like calcium get depleted quickly. I guess you don't dose anything in a fish only tank. IDK, just thinking of possibilities out loud,,,

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe its that because I used to do water changes every two weeks. But I have cut down drastically. Maybe I should start again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back