Purple Stylophora vs "Milka Stylophora" - Is there a difference?

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Several months back I purchased a purple stylophora from Top Shelf Aquatics - I presumed it was the "Milka Stylo". It's since about doubled in size, but no white growth tips. Assuming this was a different stylophora, I asked my LFS for a piece of milka stylo last time I was there and he brought me a purple stylophora. Unfortunately it was closed up because he's in the process of moving his SPS tank but he guarnteed me it was healthy so I brought it home. It's indeed a purple stylophora, however, no white tips.

Am I getting some different variant? Is not all purple stylophora "Milka Stylophora" or do frags not show the white growth tips? Perhaps they just aren't growing fast enough yet to exibit the characteristic white tips? Pictures online show both white tips/no white tips so I'm curious what the difference is.

What are your thoughts?

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here you go: larger one is from TSA. Smaller one lying on the substrate is from the LFS.

Attachments

• IMG_0989.jpeg
    IMG_0989.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 240
  • IMG_0990.jpeg
    IMG_0990.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 231

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Generally sps, including stylos, will encrust at the base before you start seeing new growth on the tips. I have two, one that was bought as a Milka and is just starting to get happy without any white on the tips yet and the other I just picked up from a fellow reefer that has huge white tips but I predict they will turn blue until it encrusts and starts growing again. Just my $.02

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Generally sps, including stylos, will encrust at the base before you start seeing new growth on the tips. I have two, one that was bought as a Milka and is just starting to get happy without any white on the tips yet and the other I just picked up from a fellow reefer that has huge white tips but I predict they will turn blue until it encrusts and starts growing again. Just my $.02
Thank you, that was kind of what I was waiting for, but it didn't seem to be the case with the TSA one. It started as bifurcated "nub" and now has the beginnings of multiple branches as you can see in the photo-but still no white tips.

Long story short, I want a big Milka stylo colony like these. I'm happy to buy another one if these aren't Milka stylo, but if it's just a waiting game, I'll keep waiting. But I'd hate to throw months away if these aren't it.

[Photos below via of Coral Euphoria & Reef Builders]

Attachments

• Milka Stylo 1.jpg
    Milka Stylo 1.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 213
  • Milka Stylo 2.jpg
    Milka Stylo 2.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 135

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you, that was kind of what I was waiting for, but it didn't seem to be the case with the TSA one. It started as bifurcated "nub" and now has the beginnings of multiple branches as you can see in the photo-but still no white tips.

Long story short, I want a big Milka stylo colony like these. I'm happy to buy another one if these aren't Milka stylo, but if it's just a waiting game, I'll keep waiting. But I'd hate to throw months away if these aren't it.

[Photos below via of Coral Euphoria & Reef Builders]
Here’s the two I have. The left one is the one from the LFS. It’s taken a while to encrust to it’s rock and get happy. You can see the start of white tips on it. The chonky one is the most recent addition.
IMG_9651.jpeg
IMG_9652.jpeg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You can see mine on the top left. It always had the white tip. Sold as purple stylo.
IMG_2710.jpeg

Started as the small frag 2 years back. First year was really rough in the new tank.
IMG_1040.jpeg

I gave my friend a frag and it does not have the white tips anymore in his tank. His tank is very high nutrients.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s the two I have. The left one is the one from the LFS. It’s taken a while to encrust to it’s rock and get happy. You can see the start of white tips on it. The chonky one is the most recent addition.
IMG_9651.jpeg
IMG_9652.jpeg
Nice, looks just like what I want.

I just checked my log and mine was added August 3, 2022. I knew it had been a while, but not almost a year. Hopefully it'll do a little more soon. Everyone says how quick these grow, but I haven't seen it yet.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can see mine on the top left. It always had the white tip. Sold as purple stylo.
IMG_2710.jpeg

Started as the small frag 2 years back. First year was really rough in the new tank.
IMG_1040.jpeg

I gave my friend a frag and it does not have the white tips anymore in his tank. His tank is very high nutrients.
Hmm interesting. Curious if anyone else has seen similar. I don't think it would be N/P in my case. My nitrates are 1.5 / Phosphate 0.03 as of yesterday.

N-P Graph.jpg

Acros

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hmm interesting. Curious if anyone else has seen similar. I don't think it would be N/P in my case. My nitrates are 1.5 / Phosphate 0.03 as of yesterday.
That’s close to my numbers. Maybe it just need a little time to start taking off.

Something interesting that I have noticed is that, it stopped growing vertically once it reached about 1” below the waterline. It is now spreading out, almost like a table. However that has not affected the white tips .

The frag in my fiends tanks almost looks like a Pocillopora rather than a stylo. It is a cool look. No clue why tho. I gave him the frag from this color. His frag is sitting at a much lower light.

Edit: Pocillopora

Last edited:
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That’s close to my numbers. Maybe it just need a little time to start taking off.

Something interesting that I have noticed is that, it stopped growing vertically once it reached about 1” below the waterline. It is now spreading out, almost like a table. However that has not affected the white tips .

The frag in my fiends tanks almost looks like a birds-nest rather than a stylo. It is a cool look. No clue why tho. I gave him the frag from this color. His frag is sitting at a much lower light.
Do you have any idea what PAR yours is getting? If I remember right, mine should be around 190-210 umol under an XR30 + Reefbrite combo.

I don't think flow would be an issue as I've got 2 MP40s in the tank, although it's sitting in indirect flow.

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Possibly all purple stylos are “Milka” stylos. :thinking-face: Check this out.
I actually did read that before, thanks for sharing though! I've been trying to figure this out for a while actually.

I know that there are other colors of stylo (magenta, blue/green, pink) so I was perhaps wondering if I had one of those. It does look purple to my eye, but who knows. Purple with white tips are the defining characteristics of a Milka and mine are missing the white tips.

jelazar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whether it's Milka or not, I believe the white tips are just where it's actively growing. I have a very large colony and some of the tips are white, while branches that are irritated by too much flow or are shaded don't have white tips. The non-white tips show other signs of unhappiness too, like less PE or algae growth.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a shot of my milka stylo. It’s not like an acro, it’s pretty easy to keep happy and a good grower.

Attachments

• 41306572-3E78-4BD2-B834-CA1FCD8315C4.jpeg
    41306572-3E78-4BD2-B834-CA1FCD8315C4.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 197

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back