Purple tang parasite.

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suddenly once this morning I saw 2 weird bubble like things under my purple tang, and a tight stomach. I am assuming this is an internal parasite, but I could use some help with identification and treatment. I was planning on putting it in a 10-gallon QT tank with Prazipro. Would a Purple tang of 3-4.5 inches survive in that small of a tank for the duration of Prazipro treatment??

On a side note does anyone know what this weird patterns are on its face? They appeared a month or so ago. It’s only on one side of its face. The tang does have a smaller fin than its right side, but it is still eating alright.

IMG_3403.jpeg IMG_3407.jpeg image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Suddenly once this morning I saw 2 weird bubble like things under my purple tang, and a tight stomach. I am assuming this is an internal parasite, but I could use some help with identification and treatment. I was planning on putting it in a 10-gallon QT tank with Prazipro. Would a Purple tang of 3-4.5 inches survive in that small of a tank for the duration of Prazipro treatment??

On a side note does anyone know what this weird patterns are on its face? They appeared a month or so ago. It’s only on one side of its face. The tang does have a smaller fin than its right side, but it is still eating alright.

IMG_3403.jpeg IMG_3407.jpeg image.jpg
In addition to having HLLE, fish appears to have Ich parasite. You will want to place fish in a quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
EgotisticObeseChihuahua

EgotisticObeseChihuahua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to having HLLE, fish appears to have Ich parasite. You will want to place fish in a quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25-2.5 For a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
How big of a Qt tank would I need for my fish? I have a sailfin tang, Atlantic blue tang, purple tang, hippo tang, Melanie’s wrasse, dusky wrasse, 4 X blue eyed anthias, 2
blue green chromis, purple fire fish, fire fish, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, Mandarin dragonets X 2 , X 3 clownfish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How big of a Qt tank would I need for my fish? I have a sailfin tang, Atlantic blue tang, purple tang, hippo tang, Melanie’s wrasse, dusky wrasse, 4 X blue eyed anthias, 2
blue green chromis, purple fire fish, fire fish, lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, Mandarin dragonets X 2 , X 3 clownfish.
recommended- 40 breeder tank ( petco and Petsmart best prices) . Look into a thrift store which may have one or LFS weith used one possibly

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, Thank yo so much Vette for the help. I appreciate it.

+1 on seeing some minor HLLE and possible ich. The larger white spot on the bottom of the fish is something else, possibly an injury.

Back