QT System

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just reaching out to see if anyone has anything similar set up and a few questions in regards to copper.

Me and My buddy have opened a small store in southern california and we need something more permanent and easy to maintain QT System wise.
My big question is with copper, I know it saturates bio media like rock and bio balls, but if we run a permanent system will that rock pull the copper from the water and reduce its saturation or can we just give up some rock for bio filtration on the system and never use it again for normal tanks? I have plenty of rock to give and if we can cut out the ammonia spikes and water changes I would love to go that route.

We are just using 10 gallons right now with air stones and heaters and yes it works, its easy, but we would like to move to a bigger set up and have a full time system going for QT'ing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just reaching out to see if anyone has anything similar set up and a few questions in regards to copper.

Me and My buddy have opened a small store in southern california and we need something more permanent and easy to maintain QT System wise.
My big question is with copper, I know it saturates bio media like rock and bio balls, but if we run a permanent system will that rock pull the copper from the water and reduce its saturation or can we just give up some rock for bio filtration on the system and never use it again for normal tanks? I have plenty of rock to give and if we can cut out the ammonia spikes and water changes I would love to go that route.

We are just using 10 gallons right now with air stones and heaters and yes it works, its easy, but we would like to move to a bigger set up and have a full time system going for QT'ing.
Rock will absorb some level of copper and Best for LFS as I owned one is The large rubbermaid tubs or a series of 20h tanks each separate to maintain treatments and levels desired opposed to the same for all in series.

1676511939410.png

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think plastic bio balls might be a good option for qt tanks. Shouldn't absorb copper but will house bacteria

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree with using separate, smaller systems. It will allow you to fine tune each, but also stagger the inventory you receive and QT, without resetting your start dates on treatment for batches of specimens.

OP
OP
TrevorHenryTDH

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Rock will absorb some level of copper and Best for LFS as I owned one is The large rubbermaid tubs or a series of 20h tanks each separate to maintain treatments and levels desired opposed to the same for all in series.

1676511939410.png
I do love these stock tanks, We are using one for our grow out system we are building for the sump right now. Our only problem is this isn't a full time business yet and just something we do on the side after our 9-5's. Trying to figure out a way to streamline things in a nice compact system.

OP
OP
TrevorHenryTDH

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would think plastic bio balls might be a good option for qt tanks. Shouldn't absorb copper but will house bacteria

Im totally okay with losing some sort of bio media for a permanent media for said QT Tanks. Just want to reduce any risk of ammonia, Doing 3 day water changes right now for our systems but if I can reduce that down that will make me happier lol.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Im totally okay with losing some sort of bio media for a permanent media for said QT Tanks. Just want to reduce any risk of ammonia, Doing 3 day water changes right now for our systems but if I can reduce that down that will make me happier lol.
Or these. More cost effective than commercial bioballs, and arguably more effective with biofiltration.

919Gio1ileL.jpg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I do love these stock tanks, We are using one for our grow out system we are building for the sump right now. Our only problem is this isn't a full time business yet and just something we do on the side after our 9-5's. Trying to figure out a way to streamline things in a nice compact system.
The separate tanks will then be best. Some fish can tolerate copper, but eels, mandarins and similar need lower level treatments and separate tanks allow for this and are easy to change water in one versus a shared system. You can have a master tank or tub and run pump to all via spray bar or J-tube for refilling.

OP
OP
TrevorHenryTDH

TrevorHenryTDH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The separate tanks will then be best. Some fish can tolerate copper, but eels, mandarins and similar need lower level treatments and separate tanks allow for this and are easy to change water in one versus a shared system. You can have a master tank or tub and run pump to all via spray bar or J-tube for refilling.
Honestly don't plan on selling eels, mandarins, just clowns, tangs, wrasses, and im working on a dedicated copperband system right now with load of aiptasia filled rocks. Could you send me some pictures or a forum thread if possible on this Spray Bar / J Tube refilling?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Honestly don't plan on selling eels, mandarins, just clowns, tangs, wrasses, and im working on a dedicated copperband system right now with load of aiptasia filled rocks. Could you send me some pictures or a forum thread if possible on this Spray Bar / J Tube refilling?

1676513453855.png

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 34.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back