Question about about an old piece of krill

Ev8siveaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have a really random issue. Today I was cleaning the eggcrate that I use as a lid on my 180 gallon and an old piece of krill must have been stuck in it somewhere. When I removed the lid, the piece fell out and into the tank. I immediately tried to get it out but a couple of my fish took small bites out of it. When I did get it out, it still felt dried (almost like a piece of krill jerky lol) and didnt smell bad at all. I honestly haven't fed any krill to my tank since late November/early December so I know it must have been pretty old. I know there is nothing that I can do now but was curious if this is going to cause any issues with the fish that ate it. Thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone! I have a really random issue. Today I was cleaning the eggcrate that I use as a lid on my 180 gallon and an old piece of krill must have been stuck in it somewhere. When I removed the lid, the piece fell out and into the tank. I immediately tried to get it out but a couple of my fish took small bites out of it. When I did get it out, it still felt dried (almost like a piece of krill jerky lol) and didnt smell bad at all. I honestly haven't fed any krill to my tank since late November/early December so I know it must have been pretty old. I know there is nothing that I can do now but was curious if this is going to cause any issues with the fish that ate it. Thanks!

I have to commiserate with you! As a public aquarium curator, I've found that some aquarists will just throw food into tanks, but some of it gets stuck on the tank ledges and tank covers. Later, when I ask them to clean things up, I know that some of these "crusty bits" will end up back in the tanks. However, I've never seen any real issues from this.

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back