Question about coral growth

Vax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Been going strong for a couple months now on my first reef tank.
The specifics are as follows -
It is a 25 gallon Waterbox Peninsula, with a Tunze 9001 skimmer and an Aqua Knight v2 light. The light I plan to upgrade at the end of the summer this year! For that, I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a (relatively affordable) better light. Perhaps something around 300-400 euros. Or perhaps you guys have experience with my current light, and know the best settings for it?

My tank has mostly soft corals and one Acan frag. Measuring some of the essentials (still collecting the Salifert test kits haha), I arrive at the following values:
- Ammonia: 0ppm
- Nitrate: 7.5ppm
- Phosphate: 0.03ppm*
- pH: 8.5
- Alk/KH: 8
- Salinity: 1.025
- Temperature: 26 to 26.5 celcius
( * taking into account that I had a high phosphate of 1.0ppm+, which I have now managed to lower to 0.03 with a remover. I added the remover the 10th of July, while this new tank has been up since the 5th of June.)

Now, my main question here is in regards to coral growth. I have seen some growth in the softies that I do have. Mostly my GSP has been going wild, but they are quite well known to grow like crazy anyways. For the rest, though, growth has been rather slow. Is it possible that this is because of those very high phosphate numbers from before? Might they still be adjusting and recovering from that? Or could the cause be that the water doesn't countain enough nutrients for them? Thank you for your time!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

Been going strong for a couple months now on my first reef tank.
The specifics are as follows -
It is a 25 gallon Waterbox Peninsula, with a Tunze 9001 skimmer and an Aqua Knight v2 light. The light I plan to upgrade at the end of the summer this year! For that, I was wondering if you have any suggestions for a (relatively affordable) better light. Perhaps something around 300-400 euros. Or perhaps you guys have experience with my current light, and know the best settings for it?

My tank has mostly soft corals and one Acan frag. Measuring some of the essentials (still collecting the Salifert test kits haha), I arrive at the following values:
- Ammonia: 0ppm
- Nitrate: 7.5ppm
- Phosphate: 0.03ppm*
- pH: 8.5
- Alk/KH: 8
- Salinity: 1.025
- Temperature: 26 to 26.5 celcius
( * taking into account that I had a high phosphate of 1.0ppm+, which I have now managed to lower to 0.03 with a remover. I added the remover the 10th of July, while this new tank has been up since the 5th of June.)

Now, my main question here is in regards to coral growth. I have seen some growth in the softies that I do have. Mostly my GSP has been going wild, but they are quite well known to grow like crazy anyways. For the rest, though, growth has been rather slow. Is it possible that this is because of those very high phosphate numbers from before? Might they still be adjusting and recovering from that? Or could the cause be that the water doesn't countain enough nutrients for them? Thank you for your time!
Your nutrient levels are fine and it can take a few months in the beginning for even soft corals to settle in before they start growing. GSP is probably the fastest growing, hardiest coral in the hobby, so I'm not surprised it's taking off before everything else. Just keep doing what you're doing and you'll see growth even with your current light.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 15 36.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 31.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back