Question about HOB overflow box

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eshopps does not rely on an aqualifter. They tend to only work for a year or so and it's not always apparent when they quit lifting water because the motor still makes noise. My Eshopps is a simple design with a baffle that keeps the water level the height of the baffle I believe so that it is quieter as it goes over the standpipe and down the drain. Also the U tube is lower than the baffle so water on the outside box is never lower than the baffle. My standpipe is removable and I like that as I clean it every so often.

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Eshopps does not rely on an aqualifter. They tend to only work for a year or so and it's not always apparent when they quit lifting water because the motor still makes noise. My Eshopps is a simple design with a baffle that keeps the water level the height of the baffle I believe so that it is quieter as it goes over the standpipe and down the drain. Also the U tube is lower than the baffle so water on the outside box is never lower than the baffle. My standpipe is removable and I like that as I clean it every so often.
I didn't expect that there were people who are still using HOB overflows without problems. Nice!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't expect that there were people who are still using HOB overflows without problems. Nice!
I have used this Eshopps for probably 15 years without a single incident of leaking, overflowing the display or loosing a syphon. It is very reliable.

The only thing I watch for is algae growth in the U tube. Ever since I switched to a hanging LED fixture, I have more light spill over. (It was not an issue when I had a T5 fixtures with legs holding the light inches from the top of the tank.) Anyway the LED spills light over on to the U tube which is clear plastic. The algae that grows slows the flow through the U-tube and then bubbles can form. Unfortunately I can't see the bubbles because of the algae. Fortunately, I can see the water level rise a bit in the display which alerts me to the problem.

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used this Eshopps for probably 15 years without a single incident of leaking, overflowing the display or loosing a syphon. It is very reliable.

The only thing I watch for is algae growth in the U tube. Ever since I switched to a hanging LED fixture, I have more light spill over. (It was not an issue when I had a T5 fixtures with legs holding the light inches from the top of the tank.) Anyway the LED spills light over on to the U tube which is clear plastic. The algae that grows slows the flow through the U-tube and then bubbles can form. Unfortunately I can't see the bubbles because of the algae. Fortunately, I can see the water level rise a bit in the display which alerts me to the problem.
Algae in the U-tubes is a problem. Didn't think of that. A DIY (acrylic) cover would solve it, right?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pics of my overflow:
IMG_20231226_170914439.jpg
IMG_20231226_171124822.jpg
IMG_20231226_171216824.jpg

OP
OP
CFR

CFR

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a Stockman standpipe. I guess that's why you have to clean it regularly, right?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to admit this but I don't know what kind of stand pipe it is. It's the one that came with the Eshopps PF 800. I just added a PVC cap on top that is drilled so that I could put a piece of airline tubing as a vent.

aquajord

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to admit this but I don't know what kind of stand pipe it is. It's the one that came with the Eshopps PF 800. I just added a PVC cap on top that is drilled so that I could put a piece of airline tubing as a vent.
How is this cap fixed to the standpipe!? I’m having issues with gurgling noise and wondering if this was a fix, thanks!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is this cap fixed to the standpipe!? I’m having issues with gurgling noise and wondering if this was a fix, thanks!
The standpipe is 1" diameter so I bought a 1" cap. Then I drilled a small hole in the top so that airline tubing could be inserted into the hole for a breather tube. I have holes drilled in the standpipe to let water in. I will say that my drain is not dead silent, it has some gurgling noise too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 22 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 93 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.8%
Back