Question about moving fish

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I currently have two clownfish in my 15 gallon tank and have a new 60 gallon on order due next month.

I want to buy only quarantined fish moving forward since I’ve got a lot of money wrapped up in this tank to hopefully ward off any parasites.

Is there a risk moving my existing clownfish to the new tank that they could be carrying some parasite that could infect the new fish? The new fish are going to have to be shipped to me and I would hate to pay for quarantined fish only to infect them with something already in my tank.

My current clowns have been healthy and eating well, no signs of illness and growing quickly, but I know some fish are more prone to certain diseases. I’m not sure if this concern is warranted but figured I’d ask in case they would need some sort of prophylactic treatment prior to the move.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can always move your rock and sand to the new tank, keep the clownfish in the empty 15 gallon as a barebottom with PVC pipe to hide, and use it as a quarantine. Keep them in there for at least 6 weeks, and prophylactically treat them with copper and praziquantel, maintaining the 65 gallon as a fish free system until the 6 weeks are up. That guarantees everything is disease free.

From there, use the 15 gallon as a quarantine for any new fish. Even those purchased from a reputable quarantine vendor should be kept isolated for a short while, to make sure they are healthy, recovered from shipping, and eating well before being moved into your display. Also gives you a chance to catch any diseases that may have gotten past the vendor's quarantine protocols.

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you that’s not a bad idea. My other half might not enjoy the idea of two tanks, but I might be able to hide it in the basement or something.

I’m just beginning to read up on fish diseases and purchased some medications to keep on hand for emergencies in case something would need treatment down the road. Im really trying to be responsible with these living organisms I’m keeping as pets.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have two clownfish in my 15 gallon tank and have a new 60 gallon on order due next month.

I want to buy only quarantined fish moving forward since I’ve got a lot of money wrapped up in this tank to hopefully ward off any parasites.

Is there a risk moving my existing clownfish to the new tank that they could be carrying some parasite that could infect the new fish? The new fish are going to have to be shipped to me and I would hate to pay for quarantined fish only to infect them with something already in my tank.

My current clowns have been healthy and eating well, no signs of illness and growing quickly, but I know some fish are more prone to certain diseases. I’m not sure if this concern is warranted but figured I’d ask in case they would need some sort of prophylactic treatment prior to the move.
You should not move anything from the existing tank to the new tank unless you are certain the existing tank is risk free. Parasites can be carried by fish, substrate, live rock, water, filter media, etc.

Questions to consider:

How long have you had the existing tank and fish?
Did the fish come from a risk free system / vendor?
Have you ever had any indication of disease or parasites in the existing tank?

If you have any doubts, you have to decide if you want to take the gamble.
Before you can use the existing live rock, etc, the existing tank should remain fallow (no fish) for a minimum of 45 days. Some recommend 75 days.

You could remove the live rock and any calcareous substrate from the existing tank and run the tank as a QT with the existing clown fish. Treat tank with copper and prazi just like any QT. In this case, you will not be able to use the live rock unless you place it back in the existing tank after you move the clown fish and then keep that tank fallow as described above.

See the post in the stickies for current recommended QT protocol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

When I moved fish from one tank to another, I acclimated them to the new tank. If there is question that your existing fish may have parasites, you nay want to consider quaranting them Before any transfer. You can use Ruby Rally Pro in existing tank which is reef safe and will address velvet and bacteria, not so much ich but an ounce of protection

OP
OP
trevorhiller

trevorhiller

Reefing Nurse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You should not move anything from the existing tank to the new tank unless you are certain the existing tank is risk free. Parasites can be carried by fish, substrate, live rock, water, filter media, etc.

Questions to consider:

How long have you had the existing tank and fish?
Did the fish come from a risk free system / vendor?
Have you ever had any indication of disease or parasites in the existing tank?

If you have any doubts, you have to decide if you want to take the gamble.
Before you can use the existing live rock, etc, the existing tank should remain fallow (no fish) for a minimum of 45 days. Some recommend 75 days.

You could remove the live rock and any calcareous substrate from the existing tank and run the tank as a QT with the existing clown fish. Treat tank with copper and prazi just like any QT. In this case, you will not be able to use the live rock unless you place it back in the existing tank after you move the clown fish and then keep that tank fallow as described above.

See the post in the stickies for current recommended QT protocol.
I've had the existing tank and fish for 5 months. Definitely not from a risk free system, but zero indication of any disease since I've had them. I haven't seen any spots, lesions, strange behavior (other than normal clown weirdness), no stringy poop or poor appetite. Fish have grown in size and are voracious eaters. I don't have any doubts they are healthy, but I don't have experience with every fish disease so I want to know if there is something I could be easily overlooking.

I guess my real question is lacking any evidence of signs or symptoms... are there any likely diseases/pests that could possibly be infecting the clownish without showing evidence of disease but could pose more of a threat to non-clown species.

Perhaps that question is impossible to answer. Hope that makes sense though.

Jmcg89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it was me I would do similar to what has been said before, I would leave the old tank fallow for the 45 or 72 days whatever you're comfortable with and treat the clowns with a tank transfer method or similar and prazipro is what I would do and then move them to a qt tank until the fallow is complete and then transfer whatever you want to into the new tank! Good luck.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the existing tank and fish for 5 months. Definitely not from a risk free system, but zero indication of any disease since I've had them. I haven't seen any spots, lesions, strange behavior (other than normal clown weirdness), no stringy poop or poor appetite. Fish have grown in size and are voracious eaters. I don't have any doubts they are healthy, but I don't have experience with every fish disease so I want to know if there is something I could be easily overlooking.

I guess my real question is lacking any evidence of signs or symptoms... are there any likely diseases/pests that could possibly be infecting the clownish without showing evidence of disease but could pose more of a threat to non-clown species.

Perhaps that question is impossible to answer. Hope that makes sense though.
I personally tend to err on the side of caution, even though almost all fish I've acquired in the past year have shown no sign of parasites or diseases. Several new purchases wasted away due to not eating, but I do not know the underlying reason. While some species may be more susceptible to certain diseases or parasites than others, there are no guarantees. Given the fact that you have decided to purchase quarantined fish which sell for a premium, you are faced with a decision only you can make regarding the two fish you already have.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back