Question about this rock I picked up on Facebook

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 20 gallon but I’m slowly getting stuff to upgrade. I bought 100 lbs of old rock that was used in a reef 3 years ago. They said it was soaked in acid. I want to be safe and I’m going to follow bulk reef supply video on bleaching. My question is after I bleach this rock and test with chlorine strips verifying zero bleach is left how do I start the cycle of this stuff? I’m wondering if I buy a big brute trash can fill it up with salt water how much gph powerhead do I need? Also do I need a heater if the room is kept at 72 degrees? How often do I need to change the water? I plan to add a bottle of doctor Tims one and only.

E16161D2-9E77-47F2-9F0C-9DA51B4515F1.jpeg

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 20 gallon but I’m slowly getting stuff to upgrade. I bought 100 lbs of old rock that was used in a reef 3 years ago. They said it was soaked in acid. I want to be safe and I’m going to follow bulk reef supply video on bleaching. My question is after I bleach this rock and test with chlorine strips verifying zero bleach is left how do I start the cycle of this stuff? I’m wondering if I buy a big brute trash can fill it up with salt water how much gph powerhead do I need? Also do I need a heater if the room is kept at 72 degrees? How often do I need to change the water? I plan to add a bottle of doctor Tims one and only.

E16161D2-9E77-47F2-9F0C-9DA51B4515F1.jpeg
Or you could do the same thing in the aquarium? Put it in along with water and sand for about a month or so

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Or you could do the same thing in the aquarium? Put it in along with water and sand for about a month or so
Thing is I don’t have the aquarium yet. I live in tiny apartment moving in 3 months. I wanted to start the cycle if possible.

Arlen nemeth

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thing is I don’t have the aquarium yet. I live in tiny apartment moving in 3 months. I wanted to start the cycle if possible.
Ok i understand where i live for some reason live rock in. store is the same cost butt dry rock online soo i got pre cycled rock and put it in my aquarium the same day

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! Put it in a brute with a heater and for pump 5x/hr turnover would be enough. The rock looks clean I would just rinse it and put it to cycle.

OP
OP
C

christwendt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey! Put it in a brute with a heater and for pump 5x/hr turnover would be enough. The rock looks clean I would just rinse it and put it to cycle.
Thank you. Once I add bacteria like doctor Tim’s I need to dose ammonia chloride correct ? 2ppm?

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you can do it like that but if you want to go the cheaper route (if you’re not in a rush) you can just ghost feed the rock and let the food transform into ammonia as it decays.

Bosreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
72 ambient temp should be fine but the bacteria you are trying to grow really thrives in warmer water...

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put the pump in the middle of the container with a pvc pipe coming up to just above the water line, use a tee and add a short piece to each end and cap. Drill holes along the bottom about 1/2 inch apart. Add RODI water and salt to mix. You can leave it at 72 degrees no problem. You can even run lower salinity if you want. I used IO salt to cycle my rocks in this way. I had fish in DT a week after setting up. The rocks were in the Brute for 4 months and I ghost fed.

Rogued_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“PRO TIP”
Like the guy above me said, nitrifying bacteria thrives in warmer water. It’s recommended to kee the tank between 78-80 for best result. I cycled my rock in the tank at 80 for a quicker cycle.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 58 29.6%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 42 21.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 23 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 66 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back