Question for Chaeto experts

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys how long does it take chaeto to start consuming phosphates and nitrates?
Is there any literature on how much consumption a softball size of chaeto consumes?

The reason I'm asking is because I used to have a small refugium ( i have a small sump) but I still was getting GHA in my display. My phosphates were max 0.3 but my nitrates would not go under 30 so I thought my refugium was not working and I tossed the chaeto. fast forward 3-4 weeks I tested my water and my phosphates spiked to 1.5 but nitrates didn't spike as much as I thought. This has me thinking that maybe my small chaeto was working.

Should I go back to the chaeto or just up my NOPOX dosage?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with any macroalgae implementation for nutrient control, you may have to focus on manual removal of existing hair algae first to allow the macro to start being really effective. You have to remember, the hair algae is benefitting from the superior flow and lighting of your display tank, so you have to fight it first to give the macroalgae time to become the primary consumer of nutrients.

OP
OP
O

Oceanman5

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
with any macroalgae implementation for nutrient control, you may have to focus on manual removal of existing hair algae first to allow the macro to start being really effective. You have to remember, the hair algae is benefitting from the superior flow and lighting of your display tank, so you have to fight it first to give the macroalgae time to become the primary consumer of nutrients.
I did find that each time I did a water change and scrubbed the rocks the GHA would take longer to return. Im going to go back to the chaeto.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 35 51.5%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 11.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back