Question for those who have experienced velvet.

Reef AquaCult

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really does suck. One more fish dead this morning. All that remains is a pair of clowns and they aren't looking good but I am hoping they will pull through. I had no idea about inverts carrying either. Most things I read were that people typically have light acclimation periods for them and then just toss them in. I'm going to be a lot more careful in the future. Pretty terrible to lose all fish for some cheap inverts when you just want to add a little more to your clean up crew.
Same thing happened to me. Couple days after adding inverts, fish got velvet. Never again.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So think of the very best aquarist you know, I guarantee he will miss disease in observational QT. The problem is fish can carry spores or latent infections that become active weeks later. None of this is visible. Beyond that the fish may harbor parasites in their gills, which is completely invisible to our observation. If you are going to the trouble of setting up a QT tank then adding medication is a very small step. CP is a great medication that works very very well, however not accessible to most and not all fish can tolerate it. Copper is the next best broad treatment that helps eliminate external parasites. One study showed 80% ornamental fish had internal parasites. Critical to treat for that as well.

Steve Blum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above, I bought a Harlequin Tusk it died within 24 hours of being in display tank. Within the next 24hrs I lost everything.
I RECENTLY LOST 5 ANGELS IN MY D.T. NO DEATHS IN 3 YEARS, LOST 2 IN ANOTHER TANK. MY WIFE DUMPED A HALF GALLON OF ODOR BAN DOWN THE DRAIN OF MY WET BAR. FIRST 2 FISH IN MY SMALL TANK DIED, A WEEK LATER 5 DIED IN MY DT. WAS THE ODOR BAN AND IT HIT MY LITTLE TANK FIRST, IT WAS CLOSEST TO THE WET BAR. I TOOK IT WITH A GRAIN OF SALT, I DID NOT KILL MY WIFE

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 74 52.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back