Question on what to do when I get a zoa frag plug?

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at getting a couple of starter zoa frags and I have a plan with my aquascape to grow a garden of them on a large piece of dead staghorn coral that is separate from my other rock work. (see below)
IMG_1646.jpg

My question is what everyone here does with the plug/disk it comes on? After you acclimate, dip, and QT do you generally cut off the plug and glue the disk to your rock? I am seeing a lot of videos where people don't seem to want to glue things to the foundation rock. Can I take a razor blade and scrape the frag off the disk and glue it directly to the rock? When I did this before I was seemingly always keeping the plug and found a way to put it in the rock but I am kinda questioning the aesthetic of the plug and disk for the first months of it's growth. Can anyone share what you do and the benefits?

clifg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure you already know, but I would be bummed if I didn't mention it and something happened, but please look up palytoxin before scraping at any Zoas.

Oscar47f

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoa is grown into the plug I usually cut as much of the plug away... if it’s not and it’s on a Little Rock or something I’ll pop that off the plug if I’m creating a garden I don’t like to have plugs anywhere if it’s for propagation I don’t mind I’ll usually try and replace the store plugs with fresh ones to reduce the chance of pests

drewwCh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i usually just leave the plug on and don't glue it to the rock, mainly because i may need to move it one day, if need be

remember to always practice good safety measures before handling zoas, wear gloves, goggles, and a surgical mask (this maybe overkill though but better to be safe than sorry)

mwil79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a rock that drilled multiple holes in just for that occasion so I can just drop the plug in when needed. When they grow off the plug and onto the rock I cut around the plug and move to another tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back