Questions about Prazipro

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve researched a lot but can’t find definitive answers or any answer at all.

I have dosed the first (of two) Prazipro treatment in my DT. Here is what I want to know :

1- When exactly can I turn my UV back on (in-between doses and after the second one)?

2- Same question for skimmer

3- When exactly should I run carbon (in-between doses and after the second one) ?

4- Are the water changes a necessity if I run carbon ? How much and when ?

Thank you !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’ve researched a lot but can’t find definitive answers or any answer at all.

I have dosed the first (of two) Prazipro treatment in my DT. Here is what I want to know :

1- When exactly can I turn my UV back on (in-between doses and after the second one)?

2- Same question for skimmer

3- When exactly should I run carbon (in-between doses and after the second one) ?

4- Are the water changes a necessity if I run carbon ? How much and when ?

Thank you !
You can run UV but leave skimmer off and remove carbon before treating and No carbon until day 17. To treat, you can dose at 85% of dosage recommended on package and do initial dose (one application) and allow it to do its thing for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon until both doses are finished.

You won't want to run your skimmer. It will overflow like nobody's business until after the second dose reducing water change is done and over.

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No carbon until both doses are finished.

You won't want to run your skimmer. It will overflow like nobody's business until after the second dose reducing water change is done and over.
I’m sorry I don’t understand what you mean by « after the second dose reducing water change is done and over ».

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sorry I don’t understand what you mean by « after the second dose reducing water change is done and over ».
After you dose the second time, the medication will still be in the water and active for a period of time. I will do a larger WC after 7-8 days in an attempt to get the skimmer back online. Sometimes that will be enough, sometimes it will need longer before the skimmer stops going crazy.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel breaks down after about 72 hours post-treatment. You can safely resume any water changes or filtration changes after that time, but prior to the next treatment.

Personally, I would turn off the UV for the first 72 hours as well - UV breaks down chloroquine, and I don't know for sure that it doesn't also break down praziquantel.

Jay

OP
OP
Idech

Idech

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Praziquantel breaks down after about 72 hours post-treatment. You can safely resume any water changes or filtration changes after that time, but prior to the next treatment.

Personally, I would turn off the UV for the first 72 hours as well - UV breaks down chloroquine, and I don't know for sure that it doesn't also break down praziquantel.

Jay
I might do a WC after 72 hours because my anemone has been closed up since I dosed the Prazipro yesterday. There has been a lot going on in that tank lately, with all the treatments I have tried.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
I read this elsewhere as well that Hikari says that after 72 hours, the Prazi is gone from the water. So why do we keep it going for 7-8 days, do a WC and then redose? Why not do a WC after 3 days and then redose for another 3 days?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read this elsewhere as well that Hikari says that after 72 hours, the Prazi is gone from the water. So why do we keep it going for 7-8 days, do a WC and then redose? Why not do a WC after 3 days and then redose for another 3 days?
Yes, prazipro breaks down in about 72 hours on the first dose, 48 hours for the second dose and so on...what happens is that bacteria grows that essentially use prazi as their food source.

The reason for the 8 to 9 day timing is specifically to deal with egg laying flukes. Prazi does not kill the eggs of flukes. If you dose it once, that kills the adult flukes on the fish, but then, in 72 hours, the prazi is broken down and new eggs hatch and reinfect the fish. The idea is to try and time it so that all of the eggs have hatched, but the flukes on the fish have not gotten old enough to lay new eggs, then you hit them with the second dose. In reality, it often takes three treatments, and even then, some eggs can get through.

Jay

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, prazipro breaks down in about 72 hours on the first dose, 48 hours for the second dose and so on...what happens is that bacteria grows that essentially use prazi as their food source.
The reason for the 8 to 9 day timing is specifically to deal with egg laying flukes. Prazi does not kill the eggs of flukes. If you dose it once, that kills the adult flukes on the fish, but then, in 72 hours, the prazi is broken down and new eggs hatch and reinfect the fish. The idea is to try and time it so that all of the eggs have hatched, but the flukes on the fish have not gotten old enough to lay new eggs, then you hit them with the second dose. In reality, it often takes three treatments, and even then, some eggs can get through.

Jay
Got it. That’s makes sense. Thanks.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 90 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 70 34.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 32 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back