Radiant wrasse with swollen eyes.

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got a radiant wrasse about a week ago and the first 4 days he was fine and eating well, swimming around the tank before going in the sand for the day. the last 2 and a half days though he remained burrowed in the sanding never showing up to get food. I read here on the forums that that's common for newer wrasses and its nothing to worry about as they adjust to their new setting. I saw the radiant wrasse this morning but noticed he wasn't really swimming out of his rock formation he claimed and saw his eyes might be a little swollen. I put some Mysis shrimp for him to eat but he didn't really take to it (might not have seen many since he was still in the rock work maybe?)

I'm still new to the hobby so I made an account to post this thread. any recommendations would be appreciated. I also just bought melafix and primafix to from the best i could read so far from what i think it could be.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey guys, I recently got a radiant wrasse about a week ago and the first 4 days he was fine and eating well, swimming around the tank before going in the sand for the day. the last 2 and a half days though he remained burrowed in the sanding never showing up to get food. I read here on the forums that that's common for newer wrasses and its nothing to worry about as they adjust to their new setting. I saw the radiant wrasse this morning but noticed he wasn't really swimming out of his rock formation he claimed and saw his eyes might be a little swollen. I put some Mysis shrimp for him to eat but he didn't really take to it (might not have seen many since he was still in the rock work maybe?)

I'm still new to the hobby so I made an account to post this thread. any recommendations would be appreciated. I also just bought melafix and primafix to from the best i could read so far from what i think it could be.
A 'one-sided' swollen eye is often an injury. If both sides are swollen, it suggests either the fish had the bad luck to injure both eyes (less likely), or a systemic process. Do you happen to know the parameters (especially salinity) - in your tank vs. your LFS? Does the fish have any other symptoms (breathing, marks looking like injury)? Can you post a picture under white light to see what's going on? Any other sick fish in the tank, was it quarantined (could it be a fluke illness or a bacterial infection)?

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant check the current salinity of the DT until i get home; 'll be sure to do it and send info here. But i purchase my saltwater from the same LFS so the parameters should be the same close to what the wrasse what use to right? I just performed a 15 gallon water change 3 days ago too so water should be good. I have a waterbox AIO 50.3 also to give gauge in size of tank. All other tankmates are showing no signs of illness and are swimming fine as usually. I tested my water yesterday as well and my ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all 0 so everything seems healthy in that regard. Would you recommend me moving the sand bed to get him out to take a picture? Going off all the readings I feel like he might've given himself this due to stress and worry trying to force him to move to further inspect might stress him out more right?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cant check the current salinity of the DT until i get home; 'll be sure to do it and send info here. But i purchase my saltwater from the same LFS so the parameters should be the same close to what the wrasse what use to right? I just performed a 15 gallon water change 3 days ago too so water should be good. I have a waterbox AIO 50.3 also to give gauge in size of tank. All other tankmates are showing no signs of illness and are swimming fine as usually. I tested my water yesterday as well and my ammonia nitrite and nitrate were all 0 so everything seems healthy in that regard. Would you recommend me moving the sand bed to get him out to take a picture? Going off all the readings I feel like he might've given himself this due to stress and worry trying to force him to move to further inspect might stress him out more right?
How is the breathing? Was it Quarantined/treated especially for flukes?

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He mightve been breathing with his mouth a little more open then usually but not 100% sure since i couldnt get a proper look at him before he dove back into the sand bed. I have not personally QT'd him since I dont have a QT tank set up yet since im new to the hobby. But I made sure to ask the fish store if their fish are healthy and made sure specifically to see how they are before getting him. from what im reading about flukes now i can notice maybe the lethargy and lack of appetite but he wasnt swimming to the top of the tank to get more oxygen. Are fish with swollen eyes linked to flukes as well?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He mightve been breathing with his mouth a little more open then usually but not 100% sure since i couldnt get a proper look at him before he dove back into the sand bed. I have not personally QT'd him since I dont have a QT tank set up yet since im new to the hobby. But I made sure to ask the fish store if their fish are healthy and made sure specifically to see how they are before getting him. from what im reading about flukes now i can notice maybe the lethargy and lack of appetite but he wasnt swimming to the top of the tank to get more oxygen. Are fish with swollen eyes linked to flukes as well?

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Cloudy eyes can be a sign of flukes, but not so much the swelling.

I'm worried that there could be issues in the tank itself. Can you have your store check the water quality? Specifically; ammonia, pH and salinity.

Are there other animals in the tank? How do they look?

Can you post a video of the fish and of the tank overall? Sometimes, Youtube links work best.

Jay

OP
OP
JeancC

JeancC

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current fish that are in the tank are:
2x Clownfish
2x Carpenter Wrasses
1xRadient Wrasee
1x Tomini Tang
All of the fish besides the radient wrasse are acting totally fine like they were. Always swimming around and eating when food is given with no signs of stress or markings to indicate some type of illness or injury. Ill try to see if i can get a clear photo of the radient wrasse to post here. Im just showing preemptive concern because I know these type of wrasses like to hide in the sand bed and I dont want to assume its just his nerves and leave things unattended if there might be something that needs to get treated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back