Radions or Orphek Atlantik's?

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At 100% with as many orphek as I’d need I would say it’s only a tad cooler. 1 watt of lighting is 1 watt of heat regardless of the source. :)
Base on your feedback previously, correct me if i am wrong that what u are saying is that 500W Halide with good huge reflector is equivalent to 2 unit of V4 coverage & punch?Or u referring that V4 = 250W halide. If yes then i am agree with that equivalent wattage will bring similar heat generation.

Ken Lee

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Orphek V3+(isnt as good as the V4, but close) and ran G4’s on my previous sps tank.

Orphek is a better light. Coverage is better and the spectrum is wider. Im back to Halide as nothing in the Led world comes close to it in coloration, but that a discussion for another thread.

If I were to run led only, a V4 would be it. Many top growers use G4’s because of sponsorship, but Im positive if they ran V4’s they would be surprised.

Orphek are some serious lights
I heard that with V4, we don't need yellow filter when taking photos with our phone, assuming all channels are set 100%?

mshur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have been using the Orphek Atlantik v4 for nearly a year now and I have to say they grow acropora and sps like weeds(we all know lighting is only one element of reef keeping)
But I’m more than pleased with the kind of light it provides

I’m using 4 units

0edb533ec993847a4a151ab4f8892467.jpg

7cb1b8825aaf9cd576ef841593647bd2.jpg

1c6854eb9e2e1c75301103746702f628.jpg

a05bf033affb9712b89c05d16b005a5e.jpg

Amazing results!
I dont wanna mess up this threat but would you mind sharing your program via PM?
Got 4 Atlantik for SPS dominant tank
Thanks

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you had it already?
I had one to test over a tank for about two weeks. It was a friend’s who let me use it until his new tank was set up. I got to test PAR and Spread but not color and growth. Looking at my list I’ve tested the following for color/growth: Radion G4 pro, SBreef, Kessil, AI, Black Box (mars aqua)

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one to test over a tank for about two weeks. It was a friend’s who let me use it until his new tank was set up. I got to test PAR and Spread but not color and growth. Looking at my list I’ve tested the following for color/growth: Radion G4 pro, SBreef, Kessil, AI, Black Box (mars aqua)
Oh I guess I assumed you tested them thoroughly and came to the conclusion that they weren't very viable on the low boy. Partly because what you said is why I went a different route.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I guess I assumed you tested them thoroughly and came to the conclusion that they weren't very viable on the low boy. Partly because what you said is why I went a different route.
They aren’t. The spread didn’t get to the edges. The outer 4” of each long edge was getting under 100 PAR. So on a 24” wide lowboy you’re losing about 8” of that. That’s a lot of real estate!!

FarmerTy

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They aren’t. The spread didn’t get to the edges. The outer 4” of each long edge was getting under 100 PAR. So on a 24” wide lowboy you’re losing about 8” of that.
So if I run one T5 on each side of the Orphek, it sounds like I'll be set for par on a 24" wide tank.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs video shows par of 200-250 on a 120 gallon on the outside edge with one Orphek. A 120 is the same perameter of the low boy. I wonder why the par is so different than what you were getting. I was going to run two of them.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brs video shows par of 200-250 on a 120 gallon on the outside edge with one Orphek. A 120 is the same demensions of the low boy. I wonder why the par is so different than what you were getting. I was going to run two of them.
Because they aren’t taking PAR readings at 3”-4” below the surface at the edge where your coral sit when using a 10” tall low boy. I also had to turn them down a bit from what BRS had as 600+ PAR of LED in the middle is going to fry some acros.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a screen shot from the video. This is the par at 6" deep (low boy is 8") and par at 12" using their custom light setting. It seems as you go deeper the outside edge gets more par and the middle strips gets less, I'm sure due to reflection. Seems like solid numbers. I'm sure adding a t5 to the outside would be perfect.

IMG_0158.PNG

IMG_0159.PNG

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up another frag tank in my garage. I currently have one tank in my garage that uses t5's and I would love to use the same fixture on the new tank but feel I can not. With my garage door closed, hot Florida weather combined with the heat from my current t5's it gets very hot in the garage. It gets so hot some days that my current fixture starts to dim to try and cool it's self. I am wanting to avoid adding even more heat with t5's so I am going to go with leds on the new tank.

The new tank is another Low Boy frag tank. The tank is 48" x 24" x 8". The light options that I'm considering is 4 radion xr 15's or two of the Orphek Atlantik V 4's.

After watching the BRS video on the Orpheks they seem like one of the best led options available. Whats holding me back on them is I haven't heard much about them. While radions on the other hand you hear a lot about but they have been around a while now.

Thoughts on light options?

When your ready for a chiller go with "Trade Winds". You won't go wrong with Radion's but Orphek is better in almost every way except cost. grrrrrr My best advice is to buy the best you can afford after true reseach. GOOD LUCK :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your ready for a chiller go with "Trade Winds". You won't go wrong with Radion's but Orphek is better in almost every way except cost. grrrrrr My best advice is to buy the best you can afford after true reseach. GOOD LUCK :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
Thanks. I have a chiller now. It's the 1/3 Hp from jbj. The chiller is definitely not as quiet as they make it seem.

The heat issue wasn't for the water, as the chiller handles that. I didn't want to go t5 as the garage gets hot and it dims my ATI fixture some days. I imagine two would just make it extremely hot in there.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a screen shot from the video. This is the par at 6" deep (low boy is 8") and par at 12" using their custom light setting. It seems as you go deeper the outside edge gets more par and the middle strips gets less, I'm sure due to reflection. Seems like solid numbers. I'm sure adding a t5 to the outside would be perfect.

IMG_0158.PNG

IMG_0159.PNG
Yep correct. Also remember you’ll usually have a frag rack 2”-2.5” off the bottom. Plus the frags grow or become a small colony. So now you’re at 3” below the surface. Not the same as 6” as BRS measured.

Pmj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the heat in the garage may be an issue for the leds too. Could put a dent in your par if they are dimming.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have a chiller now. It's the 1/3 Hp from jbj. The chiller is definitely not as quiet as they make it seem.

The heat issue wasn't for the water, as the chiller handles that. I didn't want to go t5 as the garage gets hot and it dims my ATI fixture some days. I imagine two would just make it extremely hot in there.
Defiantly my bad. Fans like something like these: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6...hermal_Control_BT12038B1M.html?tl=g36c265s703 or go crazy with this type of cooling: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...40_GPX_Pro_AMD_RX_Vega_M01_-_black_11494.html

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 106 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.6%
Back