OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is about a month old. But I just pull the trigger on the Atlantic V4, Hub and the
brand new Aquarium Light Mount kit For a new build. CSA 30x30x24 SPS tank.
I currently have a Radion G3 over my 60 cube , I just not happy with the shadowing I’m getting. I also have an ATI 8 bulb fixture, but I wanted to give the V4 a spin.
I reached out to BRS with a couple of questions about the Orpheks a couple days back and got no response except for a notification that my email had been forwarded to another individual. I reached out agian , no response to date.
Reached out to Orphek, James contacted me very quickly and was extremely helpful. Outstanding service, so I placed an order.

@bubbaque i came across your build thread during my search for Orphek V4 (subscribed) and noticed you went with a couple a VidaRock pieces,l just recently ordered several pieces as well, small world :)

CC7743D4-4780-47C6-AF52-2757FF11DAB6.png
09914A90-AFE3-440E-8E07-0A059B5B42E2.png
Thanks for following the thread! I have no idea what VidaRock is though, maybe it was someone else.

ChrisW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karl put up some pic of those Orpheks when you get em mounted, I have my eye on a a pair of compacts, just saving the $$$ for em. Love to see how you mounted them and what your impression is of them

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is about a month old. But I just pull the trigger on the Atlantic V4, Hub and the
brand new Aquarium Light Mount kit For a new build. CSA 30x30x24 SPS tank.
I currently have a Radion G3 over my 60 cube , I just not happy with the shadowing I’m getting. I also have an ATI 8 bulb fixture, but I wanted to give the V4 a spin.
I reached out to BRS with a couple of questions about the Orpheks a couple days back and got no response except for a notification that my email had been forwarded to another individual. I reached out agian , no response to date.
Reached out to Orphek, James contacted me very quickly and was extremely helpful. Outstanding service, so I placed an order.

@bubbaque i came across your build thread during my search for Orphek V4 (subscribed) and noticed you went with a couple a VidaRock pieces,l just recently ordered several pieces as well, small world :)

CC7743D4-4780-47C6-AF52-2757FF11DAB6.png
09914A90-AFE3-440E-8E07-0A059B5B42E2.png

The v4 has been awesome since I started using it...definitely a good choice.

I did see that Orphek released these new tank mounts. I have to say though, it would make me extremely nervous to put the v4's weight on a mount attached to glass. Even a compact v4 has substantial weight to it...the full size is downright heavy (about 18 lbs I think). The hanging kit that comes with the lights couldn't even hold the weight of a compact and a full size together without making me nervous, so I ended up building a rack and using only 80/20 extrusion to hold everything up.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Karl put up some pic of those Orpheks when you get em mounted, I have my eye on a a pair of compacts, just saving the $$$ for em. Love to see how you mounted them and what your impression is of them

I will post up something once I get it figured out.

The v4 has been awesome since I started using it...definitely a good choice.

I did see that Orphek released these new tank mounts. I have to say though, it would make me extremely nervous to put the v4's weight on a mount attached to glass. Even a compact v4 has substantial weight to it...the full size is downright heavy (about 18 lbs I think). The hanging kit that comes with the lights couldn't even hold the weight of a compact and a full size together without making me nervous, so I ended up building a rack and using only 80/20 extrusion to hold everything up.

I hear you about the weight, I my retrofit the Orpheks tank mount with 80/20 or just use the 80/20 only.
This is one of the cleanest mount I have seen. This design is by a fellow on YouTube Joe,s Coral Reef. I really like the clean look of his efforts. Here’s a couple of links of his channel and some Screen shots.

5FE935B0-A47A-460E-A62E-04C77D4B08F0.png 7392A50C-5587-4272-8BA1-E0C83B076F8E.png 87E26F25-D649-4482-B96D-05A71FC9A73A.png

Caravanshaka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have seen those mounts and thought they were pretty clean.

I've got an 80/20 stand that is wider than my tank, so I took 2 4ft 15 series lengths and put them upright on both sides of the tank, with a long 15 series going down the middle of the length of the tank so that it is adjustable up to 2 feet above the tank. On that long bar, I just added 4 short 10 series bars and ran a bolt through the holes in the Orpheks through to the 10 series bars. It's simple and clean.

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an older thread, but any feedback on these lights? I'm considering one unit on a 36" reefer 250 thats all sps. Want to know how they are performing and if there is any need for any extra supplementation.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still feel it’s the best led you can get having run eco tech, AI and kessils. For 36” long I can’t imagine needing anything else but if one really wanted overkill could put some orphek bars on the sides, but that would be for pretty wide tanks.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still feel it’s the best led you can get having run eco tech, AI and kessils. For 36” long I can’t imagine needing anything else but if one really wanted overkill could put some orphek bars on the sides, but that would be for pretty wide tanks.
I have only run mh/vho, mh/t5 and now orphek. On a 3 foot tank two Orphek compacts is what they recommend for mostly sps but one full size will do well.

Karl M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gatorbait01 , I moved from Radion’s G3 to The Atlantik V4 on my 60 cube 24x24. (Soon to be transformed into A 30x30). The Ecotech did a good job, I just wasn’t happy with the Shadowing I was get on some of my SPS Colonies.
I am extremely pleased with the Orphek as are my SPS I am see much better growth and coloration since I made the Switch. The V4 is a little overkill for the 60 cube but will give good light coverage in the 93 cube.
If you contact James at Orphek he will help guide you. He is extremely helpful

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the v4 over my 36x18 footprint and feel it’s about perfect. I wouldn’t do just 1 compact if looking for all sps. Odd they recommend 2 of them since it’s more expensive than 1 regular one. I could see 2 compacts on a 4ft tank.

rawbomb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 750xxl and want to run 2 or 3 full size but the mounting options seem pretty limited. Anyone have any ideas?

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Orphek sells tank mounts but I used the kessil mounts I already had. Drilled out the last hole a little bit and found 1” pvc just fits over the bottom of the mount, so I slid black pvc over it and screwed to stand with pipe mount to take pressure off glass. It looks like a stock mount too.

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The weight of that orphek I would work a bit on the stress on just two bolts.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the mount orphek sells is glass supported only any support on the stand is solid. Ideally I would have extended it to the floor and put another clamp, but those four bolts total are more than strong enough going through the stand. Putting another clamp with the wood available in that spot would only weaken the integrity by drilling more holes imo and I put a considerable about of stress on the fixture before putting the light on to test, well over 50lb on each one and saw no indication of failure so I’m not concerned with the 12lb each mount supports.

Last edited:

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@gatorbait01 , I moved from Radion’s G3 to The Atlantik V4 on my 60 cube 24x24. (Soon to be transformed into A 30x30). The Ecotech did a good job, I just wasn’t happy with the Shadowing I was get on some of my SPS Colonies.
I am extremely pleased with the Orphek as are my SPS I am see much better growth and coloration since I made the Switch. The V4 is a little overkill for the 60 cube but will give good light coverage in the 93 cube.
If you contact James at Orphek he will help guide you. He is extremely helpful
Have you noticed any shadowing at all w/ these lights? How far above the water line for you have them mounted?

gatorbait01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the v4 over my 36x18 footprint and feel it’s about perfect. I wouldn’t do just 1 compact if looking for all sps. Odd they recommend 2 of them since it’s more expensive than 1 regular one. I could see 2 compacts on a 4ft tank.
My tank is 36x20 and would much prefer just 1 full Sized array vs 2 compacts for both astetics and more importantly cost. What height do you runs yours at and have you noticed any shadowing on any colonies of sps?

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 53 24.7%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 52 24.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back