Radions with older power supplies and GFCI

ScooterV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm only posting this so others who may search for the same issue will find another possible option. Lots of past posts on the same issue, and upgrading the power supply also seems to have worked.

I have five Radion XR30 Pros. One G4 and four G3. Only two of the G3 has the older white brick power supply. Sure enough, they trip my GFCI breakers. I had two brand new 20A circuits, and they would trip either of them. For some reason they did NOT trip the third circuit which is a 15A but only the outlet is GFCI. I left them there.

However, it recently hit me about four years ago I upgraded to a variable speed pump for our pool and my GFCI would trip. Mine was Hayward, but Pentair advertised their pump would cause false GFCI trips due to the harmonics created by a VSP pump, so you could buy their own branded breaker. A little research uncovered it is just a re-branded Siemens QF series. It solved the problem. I passed the information on to my electrician and he mentioned a customer with a treadmill in a garage, and sure enough, it fixed it. Nothing but numerous postings of success on a pool maintenance forum since then.

It then hit me the breakers would trip once the lights started ramping. I changed my two GFCI breakers to Siemens QF-120 and my Radions no longer cause the breakers to trip.

Some electrician can possibly explain how it is more immune to harmonics, but for anyone picking up a used Radion, or has them in use but not on GFCI due to those issues, it's at least something else that can be tried.

Sorry for the long post just to mention that breaker, but I hope it at least explains more than just an unsupported "Tried this breaker and it works".

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back