Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only downside is that you are going to like them and leaving is not easy. Radiums are kinda like sex - you never see anybody who says "I tried sex once in college and it just wasn't for me!" You might not want or be able to use Radiums on every tank, but you will forever know what you are missing. I don't use Radium because I like the more sleek fixtures and 14k Phoenix is very, very close to where most cannot even tell. The new 20k Hamilton is also very easy to like and I doubt that anybody could tell the difference between it and a Radium, other than m80 330w output to 250w output.
Beautiful analogy sir

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They only downside is that you are going to like them and leaving is not easy. Radiums are kinda like sex - you never see anybody who says "I tried sex once in college and it just wasn't for me!" You might not want or be able to use Radiums on every tank, but you will forever know what you are missing. I don't use Radium because I like the more sleek fixtures and 14k Phoenix is very, very close to where most cannot even tell. The new 20k Hamilton is also very easy to like and I doubt that anybody could tell the difference between it and a Radium, other than m80 330w output to 250w output.
..must..resist..urge to..make joke...about size and shape...of Radium bulb!

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better question. With the demise of halides on the near horizon, what is Anthony's new passion going to be?
;)

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wha dis says?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Adding on as I would like to know how close these are to radium or color as a whole.
For you, and for those who are curious re: Radium 20k vs RB 20k...

Got got a couple years back from Joy at Reef Brite... Plots taken with an Ocean Optics Spectrometer.

Very similar, but I'm loving the nice spike at 420 on the RB

12041057_1496498900665145_94783116_o.jpeg

Last edited:

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's a little blue er than radium? On what ballasts? The thing to remember is that, unless you have a m80 ballast, the radium(or pheonix14k and other de bulbs) will not perform quite as it should. It will be more blue with less output.(but still look good). At that point you really would be better off with a nice bulb designed for the ballasts you have(or can get). Unless you're willing to experiment with ballasts. If so, pauleric recommends "s50" ballast. I add that a m132/m154 ballast looks indistinguishable to the eye.(compared to a true m80).

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For you, and for those who are curious re: Radium 20k vs RB 20k...

Got got a couple years back from Joy at Reef Brite... Plots taken with an Ocean Optics Spectrometer.

Very similar, but I'm loving the nice spike at 420 on the RB

12041057_1496498900665145_94783116_o.jpeg
Yea one of their selling points.
While the spectral composition of the lamps Radium vs. the Reef Brite 20K is literally almost identical, the primary difference is that there is a very large peak in the 420nm (Nanometer) region of the Reef Brite 20k that does not exist in Radium lamps.

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
where is this coming from?
Was messing around on google and stumbled upon it. I don’t know if it’s CNN or FOX

Just did another search to see if 360 is legit. Says it is if the “sayers” are legit.

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo I'm feeling lucky for once to be in EU, Radium are still available at a price of 55€ and 70€ respectively for 250W and 400W.

Made a stock of 12 bulbs, should be enough for my Spectra.

RedoubtReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woo I'm feeling lucky for once to be in EU, Radium are still available at a price of 55€ and 70€ respectively for 250W and 400W.

You could buy more and sell in the for sale forums here.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What's the website maybe we can purchase(and they ship) to the US

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is bad karma to buy and flip to other hobbyists. Nobody's tank can survive that. Dirty move.
While we've never interacted, I still want to thank you for the Calcium reactor file you've made, make a lot of sense and I try to keep that same philosophy.
Simplifying while it make sense in the long run.

I won't share the website, not that I want to gatekeep but the one who truly want, will find it hopefully. I've enough for myself please feel free to do as you will.

Now that I've seen the PPFD of Iwasaki compared to Radium which are pretty low. I've found MH Osram bulb that are rated at 5500K and a CRI of 9.
Would you give it a try ? They're pretty cheap <20€.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While we've never interacted, I still want to thank you for the Calcium reactor file you've made, make a lot of sense and I try to keep that same philosophy.

I won't share the website, not that I want to gatekeep but the one who truly want, will find it hopefully. I've enough for myself please feel free to do as you will.

Now that I've seen the PPFD of Iwasaki compared to Radium which are pretty low. I've found MH Osram bulb that are rated at 5500K and a CRI of 9.

Lol. So you "wont share" the info that you do have but want feedback on something of your interest... Good luck, I'm sure if you truly want to know, you will find it. Hopefully; -)

Asthix

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. So you "wont share" the info that you do have but want feedback on something of your interest... Good luck, I'm sure if you truly want to know, you will find it. Hopefully; -)
You also have access to the internet, so if I've found it, I'm sure you can, given the country indication isn't hard now to find.

Unfortunately can't find any information except for the Iwasaki and I haven't seen anybody's going that low to 5500K.

Z Burn's Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tracked down some Hamilton M80 ballasts...thank you ebay! Definitely perked up my radiums quite a bit. Although, I was getting more than enough PAR from the radiums using the electronic ballasts in my spectra (250-300 on the sandbed). I'll keep the electronic ballasts as backup or when I run out of radium bulbs...I have about 5 years worth stocked up. Big thanks to @jackson6745 for helping me wire up the new ballasts.

m80.jpg

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back