naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For those who don't want to read through the thread - see "Cliff's" below:

Current System State - Display (updated 9/21)

IMG_0108.jpeg

IMG_0107.jpeg

IMG_0111.jpeg

IMG_0112.jpeg

DISPLAY
Glass Cages - HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! Reach out to (@Joe Glass Cages) for a custom tank, and an even more personalized experience. I've been treated like family for all 3 of my last tank purchases with them.

FILTER
Berlin Method (Super Simple) - Barebottom, LR (dry, seeded), Over-Sized Tunze (9130DC) Skimmer, Passive GAC (bag in bottom of sump). Sockless. Fugeless. Filter stock during weekly maintenance.

AUTOMATION
None. ATO - Manual. AWC - Manual. Equipment on timers. AWC and ATO will eventually be on Ecotech Versas. OK, technically my Ecotech Vectras and my A500X's, but if I could put them on timers, I would. :face-with-monocle:

LIGHT
Full LED (ex Halide user here) - 2 x Kessil A500X (spot) + 2 x RB XHO 50/50 Strip LED (flood) + 2 x RB XHO Actinics. Switching to Quanta Pros - sitting in garage awaiting install.

FLOW
2 x Tunze Stream 6125 (non controllable). On timers.One on 12 hours, one off for twelve hours. Switch. A single Tunze effortlessly pushes water to the opposite end of the 5 ft peninsula-style display. Upgraded to controllable Tunze Stream Eco 6255 (although it's tough to consider the base Tunze controller a "controller" :). These pumps are absolute monsters. I have them on 10-second alternating pulses. At the minimum pulse setting, these pumps move an enourmous amount of water; gentle, but incredibly strong. Honestly - if they pushed any more water at this minimum setting, I'd have to send them back to the supplier... Strategic rock work (and minimized flow resistance due to BB) facilitates gyre flow (the phenomenon, not the pump, which coincidentally does not produce gyre flow itself) throughout the tank.

SUPPLEMENTATION
Tropic Marin All For Reef. Manual additions. Single containing Ca, Alk, Mg, and all major and minor trace elements. Ecotech Versa to dose eventually.

FEEDING
Homemade mix. Mussel, clam, BRS (real) seaweed mix, aminos, Reef Chili, Reef Roids. Click the link below for the recipe/instructions:

Current System State - Quarantine (updated 7/20)

IMG_2162.jpeg

IMG_2219.jpeg

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2239.jpeg

IMG_2407.jpeg

IMG_2401.jpeg

IMG_2400.jpeg

IMG_0097.jpeg

IMG_0099.jpeg

CURRENT PARAMS
IMG_2412.jpeg IMG_2238.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've already started collecting equipment, and have been working out details of the room and aquarium design with my girlfriend, so I think it's time to start putting things on paper.

I'll use this thread to discuss my plans, methods, and approach, to document progress, think out loud, and hopefully get feedback from the pros as we go along.

Here's a link to my last build, which came to an unfortunate end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
First @Roberto Denadai (Roberto - I hope you don't mind posting your pics here - your setups have always been a favorite of mine) - Here's why:

a) Barebottom methodology (sometimes) with simple biological filtration techniques. In one of his aquariums (2nd pic) he actually had zero live rock - all filtration was completed by bio media in the sump.
b) Minimal filtration equipment - less to fiddle with and fit into the sump = more time to spend enjoying the tank.
c) Simple, minimal, eye-catching aquascape - focus on coral placement with emphasis placed on complimentary colors and growth patterns. Focus on these aspects in the early stages reaps great rewards once the tank has filled out.
d) Roberto has always taken the time to answer my questions.

RobertoDenadai.JPG

RobertoDenadai2.jpg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Bacon505 (Please let me know if you prefer I do not share your pics on my thread). Here's why:

a) Super-simple filtration methodology
b) Minimalistic aquascape
c) Ability to keep softies, LPS, and SPS in a single tank - I'm not sure many appreciate this hobbyist feat. By far, the most difficult reef to keep successfully
d) Perseverance through adversity - despite many setbacks, hope has never been lost. Bacon's reef is as beautiful as ever.

BaconFTS.jpeg

BaconSump.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
A word on the thread title....

SS = Super Simple/Super Stable - A concept that Ryan from @BRS drilled in to our heads on the WWC/BRS Hybrid Series. No need to "get cute" with the setup. Start with pristine water, buy the essentials, set them up properly (not an easy feat), and leave it alone.

To this end:

1. Bare bottom (ultra low maintenance) - no nutrient sink here. This system will be sand-less in the display and sump. Ability to kick up detritus a couple times a day, and during maintenance. Bottom pane will be painted white, and will not have any support bracing. I love the Starboard look, but glass is so much easier to scrape and keep clean (yes, it will stay white).

2. Oversized skimmer (ultra low maintenance) - main mechanical filtration for the system. Ability to pull out detritus, bacteria, and uneaten food.

3. Sockless (ultra low maintenance) - Socks only used during maintenance. I ran my coral quarantine with no socks, and it was great. A plethora of (which leads me to...)

4. Right-sized Cleanup Crew (ultra low maintenance) - feather dusters, amphipods, copepods, and worms grew and managed uneaten food and waste for me. These creatures will be seeded to the tank upon startup and will be established prior to adding fish.

5. Calcium Reactor (ultra low maintenance) - A calcium reactor will be utilized for supplementation (only). No mixing 2-part, no multiple dosing pumps. A quality dual-stage regulator with a reliable and accurate metering valve will be employed along with a pH controller (still on the fence w/ the controller - it's not necessary with a this setup).

6. AWC (ultra low maintenance) - no hauling buckets, or messy maintenance evolutions. One less thing I have to plan for, and more time enjoying my aquarium and time with family.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
7. Seeding system with proven micro-biome with extended "cooking" period (super stable) - I'm looking at you @Battlecorals .

8. Redundant, Proven equipment (super stable) - dual drains, dual return pumps, dual undersized heaters run off a Ranco temperature controller.

9. No controllers (super simple) - while I feel there is value in monitoring parameters and leak detection, I will remove the points of failure that a controller will add to this system.

colossal_tater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7. Seeding system with proven micro-biome with extended "cooking" period (super stable) - I'm looking at you @Battlecorals .

Watching the thread, very interested where you’re going because I’m doing a similar setup, but around 60gallons. I’m very interested in what you’re doing micro biome wise. Could you elaborate more?

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Watching the thread, very interested where you’re going because I’m doing a similar setup, but around 60gallons. I’m very interested in what you’re doing micro biome wise. Could you elaborate more?

Thanks for taking the time to join the discussion and ask your question. There's a few different things in planning to do in this regard.

1. Set up a "cooking" bin, where I will seed my live rock with established media from a well known coral vendor. I have written back and forth to Adam at Battle Corals a couple times, and he has always been helpful, grows amazing corals, and has contributed to the community outside the scope of his company's gain. For all of these reasons I trust him, and am planning on purchasing some rubble from his system to seed my own.

2. Rock will be cured in the dark, in order to nurture bacteria colony establishment, and deter the proliferation of photosynthetic organisms.

3. Additional amphipods and copepods will be added to the curing tank, but I think I will add them after I add a photoperiod to it. I imagine many of these organisms rely on algae for sustenance. The goal here will be to have an established colony of micro organisms by the time the display has normal lighting.

4. One additional thing that I will do, is treat this curing tank as I would my display. It will be fed and skimmed, and water will be changed regularly. Alkalinity and calcium will also be tested and maintained at optional levels. This will ensure the microfauna can grow and reproduce, and will be well established when it's added to the display.

Thanks for asking - it's helpful for me to talk through the steps. Let me know if this answers your question.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some threads that I've started recently, along with videos I've watched from BRS to help with the planning of this system. I've been in the hobby for almost 30 years, and I love the BRS Investigates series - I am frequently learning something new, and I love the data they gather and present, along with their scientific approach.

More than anything I appreciate them sharing the failures along the way. There are what we learn most from.

The ULM Series is great, and helped put a lot of what I already knew into a process.

The WWC/BRS Hybrid series was also really helpful putting thoughts and knowledge to process. Highly recommended.

This video helped me choose my lighting setup. Most of their lighting videos have PAR and spectrum data - they are awesome.

A great series that I'm following on biome cycling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One other thing I forgot to mention is nitrate and phosphate control. Medias and chemicals are effective, but you have to replace media or add chemicals periodically. The chemicals (lanthanum chloride) can be dosed, but require a good skimmer (check!) and a fine mesh filter sock (not a chance!), but perhaps the most concerning side effect is the inherent risk that is placed on the fish.

While I suspect I will be able to manage nitrate and phosphate with the skimmer, I am planning on dosing a carbon source to aid in the micro biome and coral feeding /health. To this end, I am planning to dose vodka with an ecotech versa, and nitrate and phosphate will be added to the vodka to add nutrients, or balance to the appropriate ratios.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Another reefer who has steered me along my reefing journey is @SunnyX . His reefs have always caught my attention - going back to the early 2000's where I stalked him on Reef Central and took notes on his TOTM... . He piqued my interest in minimalist aquascape, and carbon dosing - both of which I will employ on this system... And, Sunny has also always taken the time to answer my noob questions.

0720DE5E-3A3D-4D64-BDD2-F969BF1B06B2.jpeg

39E2A2B5-F656-445D-A8E6-4D30AE49A9F6.jpeg

FCFC3257-7025-4DF9-BAC2-E24E3A09CFA1.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here is where the magic (cooking) will happen over the next couple months. Ordered food, 1-part, dosing container, few RODI supplies, and some Versa parts last night.... All should be here this week.

Once I have cooking tank completely set up, I'll order a few pounds of rock /rubble from Adam and off we'll go.

B7787AAF-903D-4FF2-B165-A8E1CEF5B7D1.jpeg

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Narrowed it down to two scapes... Posted a poll here:

Let me know what you think!

First one.....

CF1AA76B-12A7-4A92-848C-D1D85245F6B1.jpeg

B2A40BB9-B2FE-49A1-BBEC-0A8D24EB4EF7.jpeg

Second one....

F7D9E1C9-549A-4B9A-BA67-D7274B9ABF35.jpeg

2A9C819B-3931-49D3-99EA-DA59A5C8262E.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 18.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 42 51.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.9%
Back