What Micro Fauna/Flora to Add While Dark Curing (Cooking) Live Rock?

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi everyone,

What animals/plants should I add while dark-curing (cooking) my dry rock? I am aware of benthic and non-photosynthetic animals such as sponges and brittle stars.... What else could I add, that would be beneficial to the biome that will thrive (or even survive) the 3 months or so of complete darkness? Where do I purchase?

Besides complete darkness, the water in the curing container will be maintained just as a normal reef.

1) Alkalinity and calcium will be maintained for the process (I'm anticipating ~ 3-4 months)
2) Tank will be fed a mix of Phyto, Reef Chili, Reef Roids, Selcon, and Amino acids daily.
3) Normal water changes will be conducted weekly, the duration of curing.
4) Tank will be heated
5) There will be flow
6) Etc

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well plants should answer the question on its own, plants and most algaes require light. So those are out off the get go. Once ammonia is controlled you can add pods and whatever cuc or creepy crawlies you want. You can cancel the aminos, reef roids, and chili, none of that is necessary and will only create excess waste.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 150 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back