Radium metal halide bulbs will not be produced anymore!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you want them to make? I am genuinely interested. XM 10k was well loved, but Hamilton 10k is pretty good. I miss the Radium 20k in 150w version, but the Phoenix 14k barely made me notice.

About the Son Agro, call Hamilton. They will likely want to talk you out of it and warn against no warranty like every other manufacturer, but they should know if they will blow up.

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you want them to make? I am genuinely interested. XM 10k was well loved, but Hamilton 10k is pretty good. I miss the Radium 20k in 150w version, but the Phoenix 14k barely made me notice.

About the Son Agro, call Hamilton. They will likely want to talk you out of it and warn against no warranty like every other manufacturer, but they should know if they will blow up.

Never used one personally but when I was running MH I always wanted to try a Reeflux 12,000k. That had the best looking pictures of any bulb IME. If it looked half as good in real life, that would have been my favorite bulb. Shame they were gone already by then

djf91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have for a long time wanted to try the XM 10k with some supplemental blue/actinics.

What I meant by my question is how hard is it to make a metal halide bulb? I can’t really find anything online about it.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeflux 12k were awesome, but then the next batch would look like 10k, or 15k. Their production was so bad that you had to buy them all from the same lot or else they would not match. They really could pop some coral. One of our local stores still has some since nobody wants to chance a dud batch, most likely.

I have some XM 10k if you want to try them. 250w, I think. I doubt that I will ever use them.

It is like making a T5 or neon sign, except you don't bend the glass... gasses in, seal it with electrodes on each side. I have never seen a good video or article on how the blend the gasses and halides to get the colors. This seems like something that could be up Tullio's alley since he likes to be in videos.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I remember correctly - very recently both US and EU agreed to pretty much do away with remaining incandescent, halogen and discharge type "utility" bulbs that were not yet outlawed or grandfathered in the prior ban's loopholes. The target was likely intended to be utility bulbs for appliances, luminaire, indicator lamps, etc, including those for landscape lighting, etc.

While the MH bulbs may not be part of this push, they are still going to be collateral damage. Also consider that commercial and industry (street lighting, horticulture, warehouse, factory. etc. ) is being pushed away from discharge lighting to LED by regulation, local code, forced scarcity, etc.

There will be no MH lamps within a few years and the few choices that may remain will be for construction, stadium and other high intensity lighting and cost a fortune.
Not true what so ever.

Graemesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why every time someone posts a zombie thread everyone goes bananas? There will always be a replacement for a replacement for as long as we live. Its why were sitting where we are right now. I can guarantee you that radium wasn't available when I was running aqua medics 20 years ago but now this is where we are? Why is everyone so scared these days? Thats not how we were founded.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know anyone who sells a 400w ballast and 10k mogul bulb? Coralvue is showing their 400w ballast as discontinued.

Edit: looks like Reef brite has some. Anyone familiar with this brand?

zheka757

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know anyone who sells a 400w ballast and 10k mogul bulb? Coralvue is showing their 400w ballast as discontinued.

Edit: looks like Reef brite has some. Anyone familiar with this brand?
i just bought those ballasts like 5 month ago.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true what so ever.
Yeah - except it is...

The first round of ban's was enacted in 2007 under EISA act and went into effect from 2012-2014

In 2020 the next tier of bans was to go into effect, but DOE put them on hold because they would in effect ban most 65 watt lightbulbs on the market...

California (and several other states) actually sued DOE and that was effective in forcing them to enact some of the bans they had punted on.

In May of 2022 the DOE under the Biden Admin approved a new rule set that in essence bans anything under 45 lumens per watt, so not just "incandescent" but halogen, xenon, etc. It also redefines GSLs to be a much broader definition (as I said) and MANY otherwise grandfathered or excluded lamp types are NOW part of the new ban because of being considered utility lamps they are now general service lamps under the new rule. The new rule enforces these new rules and ban of sale as of August 1st 2023.

In addition, numerous US states have gone further than the DOE in their interpretation and rulings.

I have absolutely no desire to go into more detail... I made my point and you are free to un-swallow your shoe any time.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why every time someone posts a zombie thread everyone goes bananas? There will always be a replacement for a replacement for as long as we live. Its why were sitting where we are right now. I can guarantee you that radium wasn't available when I was running aqua medics 20 years ago but now this is where we are? Why is everyone so scared these days? Thats not how we were founded.

Nobody is scared - we are discussing the reality that the technology that many of us enjoy is quickly running out of track. The evidence is right in front of you, nobody is making anything up. You digest it however you wish.

Are there always replacements for "banned" items (as you say) that accomplish the same goal with the same quality, cost, etc. ? Of course not. To argue so is to be rather naive to what is going on around you. Tell me how that low VOC alkyd deck stain is treating you or that ethanol gasoline is treating your cost per mile and engine health.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked to a lot of folks. Nobody is under the impression that any reefing bulbs are going to be sale or production limited on August 1st in the US. This could eventually come.

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nobody is scared - we are discussing the reality that the technology that many of us enjoy is quickly running out of track. The evidence is right in front of you, nobody is making anything up. You digest it however you wish.

Are there always replacements for "banned" items (as you say) that accomplish the same goal with the same quality, cost, etc. ? Of course not. To argue so is to be rather naive to what is going on around you. Tell me how that low VOC alkyd deck stain is treating you or that ethanol gasoline is treating your cost per mile and engine health.

I'm very always looked at it as following the path of the crt.....

jmichaelh7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Haha !!

Hugster78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has to be right all the time. Reading the negativity on this thread is depressing. Reefing is my place of zen. Hopefully some of you can set aside your egos and enjoy your tanks!!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has to be right all the time. Reading the negativity on this thread is depressing. Reefing is my place of zen. Hopefully some of you can set aside your egos and enjoy your tanks!!
It is a conversation. If it wrecks your zen, then ignore it instead of jumping in and throwing your own stones at people.… you know, the glass houses thing?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have talked to a lot of folks. Nobody is under the impression that any reefing bulbs are going to be sale or production limited on August 1st in the US. This could eventually come.
Yeah I didn’t dig in, but would assume they are not covered under GSL lamps and not part of this tier of bans or regulation. They are slated (along with fluorescent) to be banned in 2028 however, based on their mercury content. I think Canada has them (halides, fluorescents) slated to be banned for sale manufacture or import in 2027, with some phases starting next year… EU ban on manufacture of fluorescent (not sure about halide or import) goes into effect in 2024.

Horticulture may be later than that… but apparently by permit or something. Who knows, a lot can change in that timespan.

Last edited:

aquavista99

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently stocked up on a three year supply of Hamilton 20k 400 watt mogul bulbs for my big tank that has remained dry for way too long. Have at least 6 new Ushio 14k 400 watt moguls as well for another year. Will finally switch to LED when 400 watt halide moguls are exhausted/no longer available. My first choice is always metal halide (14k or 20K) bulbs. Love the shimmer too.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back