Rain water in the saltwater tank

JoseA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your opinion on using rain water in the salwater tank.
I been using rain water for the past 3 years with no problems but some people tell me that is not good for the tank.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not good. Get a TDS meter and you will see. You have been lucky so far is all.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus rain water cane have all kinds of pollution in it and a more acidic pH than RODI water.

Marty.h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What issues have you had in the last 3 years any algae , disease, deaths ect.

What stock do you currently keep.

If the OP has managed 3 years with no issues can it be that bad in all fairness stock and issues dependant ?

What's your average water stats

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rain washes the atmosphere. I'd never, ever consider using rain water for my tank. The amount of pH plus I need to add to my pool every year is first hand experience of acid rain....and I'm not talking about the actual impurities. Don't use it!

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 years is luck. Soft corals can take more contaminants than stony corals but it is still a ticking timebomb. Many contaminants are cumulative meaning once they are there they continue to concentrate and build up until you have a major system crash. No amount of water changes or filter medias or pads will evere remove it all. Why play russian roulette when a good reef quality RO/DI system is only $125. Remember water is the single largest ingredient in your reef and everything depends on its quality and stability. What may be OK today could be a disaster tomorrow while with a RO/DI you get the same consistent quality every time and you alone control that quality with your TDS testing and filter maintenance.

androsreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if he been using it for 3 year he must had some success, i know people that quit in 6 months with the best of the best. me my self wouldnt use it but depending on were you at in the country, it might not be that bad lol

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trust me, as a water professional with 40 years in the industry, it is bad. 3 years is nothing really and they have been lucky is all.
To the OP, how about some pictures?

reef208

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AZdesertRat knows his stuff. Interacted with him on other forums before. Way too much potential for contamination imo. Not worth the risk.

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tell us a little about your set up, it's impressive that you have been doing this for 3yrs and kept a successful tank.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The argument that rain water is full of pollution is true. However how much pollution is in tap water? If you run rainwater through an rodi you would have better water imo than rodi run through tap water. Id be worried using it just as is though.

Side note, the sand in egypt blows away into the clouds and falls to the sea. This sand has iron and this helps phytoplankton to grow! Its good lifegiving stuff.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not contamients falling from the sky but who one is collecting it. Runoff from the roof gutters and what not.

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has obviously never bought an RODI unit. Which means he would have cycled his tank with Rainwater from a Water Tank. Not everyone's rainwater quality is the same. There's different emission laws everywhere. If he has made it 3 years in the hobby without an RODI unit using tank water I think that is commendable. His Aquarium would have been fully established by now and this man did it mixing salt into Rainwater.

@
What issues have you had in the last 3 years any algae , disease, deaths ect.

What stock do you currently keep.

If the OP has managed 3 years with no issues can it be that bad in all fairness stock and issues dependant ?

What's your average water stats

This is my favorite question. I think the whole world would love to know everything that was stocked in the life of the tank for online forum scientific purposes.

Uvg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rain washes the atmosphere. I'd never, ever consider using rain water for my tank. The amount of pH plus I need to add to my pool every year is first hand experience of acid rain....and I'm not talking about the actual impurities. Don't use it!
The ocean is polluted with oil spills and millons of chemicals and gets replenish ed with rainwater ,it's plenty safe for your tank mine has thrived on it

Back