Rapid Foxface Pigmentation Degradation

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my foxface in my new-ish display for over a month now. No signs of any distress and eating regularly. This morning, I noticed that he didn't change back to yellow when the lights came on for the day and some of his white spots looked as though his scales had been bleached. The white is spreading rapidly and is effecting scales and fins. Any information to help understand what may be happening would be greatly appreciated.

The tank has been running for 2+ months now and was seeded with bio-media from an existing mature tank. Params are within normal ranges:

Alk - 9
Calcium - 430
Mag - 1350
Salinity - 35 PPT
Nitrate - 2
Phosphate - .03

Is there any reason to worry currently?

IMG_2435 (1).JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi all,

I've had my foxface in my new-ish display for over a month now. No signs of any distress and eating regularly. This morning, I noticed that he didn't change back to yellow when the lights came on for the day and some of his white spots looked as though his scales had been bleached. The white is spreading rapidly and is effecting scales and fins. Any information to help understand what may be happening would be greatly appreciated.

The tank has been running for 2+ months now and was seeded with bio-media from an existing mature tank. Params are within normal ranges:

Alk - 9
Calcium - 430
Mag - 1350
Salinity - 35 PPT
Nitrate - 2
Phosphate - .03

Is there any reason to worry currently?

IMG_2435 (1).JPG
This is bacterial requiring immediate treatment in separate tank with seachem kanaplex and added oxygen
Is fish eating and breathing normal?

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is bacterial requiring immediate treatment in separate tank with seachem kanaplex and added oxygen
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Thanks for the quick response. Eating has slowed as of today. I can get a QT setup within a few hours, but have 0 access to kanaplex until Monday. Are there any alternatives? Breathing is consistent, and does not seem to be any quicker than normal.

EDIT: After a quick search, kanaplex is not available in Canada. The quickest I can have something delivered would be via Amazon Prime. 2-3 days.

Is tetra guard a suitable replacement?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thanks for the quick response. Eating has slowed as of today. I can get a QT setup within a few hours, but have 0 access to kanaplex until Monday. Are there any alternatives? Breathing is consistent, and does not seem to be any quicker than normal.

EDIT: After a quick search, kanaplex is not available in Canada. The quickest I can have something delivered would be via Amazon Prime. 2-3 days.

Is tetra guard a suitable replacement?
Alternative- ruby rally pro or quick cure

OP
OP
L

logangeraghty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alternative- ruby rally pro or quick cure
Ok thanks, I should be able to source ruby rally pro and have it for tomorrow evening. Foxface is now in QT. Not moving much now and discoloration is worsening.

What disease/infection would you guess is present?

Looks like Brook is also developing now. Will have formalin by tomorrow evening as well.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Ok thanks, I should be able to source ruby rally pro and have it for tomorrow evening. Foxface is now in QT. Not moving much now and discoloration is worsening.

What disease/infection would you guess is present?

Looks like Brook is also developing now. Will have formalin by tomorrow evening as well.
Add aeration with air stone

Back